Author Topic: STOP! oil pressure, Stop Motor  (Read 13676 times)

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
STOP! oil pressure, Stop Motor
« on: 14 March 2010, 20:43 »
a couple of days ago i had a warning light which literally came on for about 5 secs saying 'Stop, Oil pressure, stop motor. then it went off, i checked the oil and it seemed to be fine and didnt come back on for the rest of the journey.

Then yesterday it done the same thing but stayed on a little longer, then went off, then came back, then went off. i stopped checked the oil which looked ok, checked under the filler cap and i could see oil over the filler cap and under the rocker cover.

So i spoke to BaV for a little advice on what he rekons was up. so today i've checked that the oil was at a suitable level, then i dried under the oil filler cap, screwed it back on and started the car. i've let it get to running temperature (90) and the light hadn't come on the whole time. then i unscrewed the oil cap (it was a little tight) and then as it released there was defiantly pressure. there was a bit of oil which splashed out and if you was to leave the cap sitting there it would jump about from the pressure...

Does it sound like some sort of sensor? or does anyone know if there could be any other explanation??

Cheers

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
Re: STOP! oil pressure, Stop Motor
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2010, 20:45 »
That signal is taken from the sender fitted to bottom of sump = check/clean connections, its right above road so may be covered in crap

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2010, 21:29 »
is it easy to find??

Cheers

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2010, 21:36 »
is it easy to find??

Cheers

if you can find the sump you can find the sensor  :tongue:

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2010, 21:37 »
is it easy to find??

Cheers

if you can find the sump you can find the sensor  :tongue:

Ok kool. i've got to travel tomorow morning so if this sorts it will be perfect! cheers boys

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2010, 23:01 »
if not it'l probably be a dirty oil pump pick-up

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2010, 23:06 »
if not it'l probably be a dirty oil pump pick-up

+1

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2010, 23:40 »
If thats the case you want it sorted sooner rather than later, blocked pickup = no oil to cylinder head. But im sure the signal will stay on at that point.

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline gus_79

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2010, 09:06 »
a couple of days ago i had a warning light which literally came on for about 5 secs saying 'Stop, Oil pressure, stop motor. then it went off, i checked the oil and it seemed to be fine and didnt come back on for the rest of the journey.

Then yesterday it done the same thing but stayed on a little longer, then went off, then came back, then went off. i stopped checked the oil which looked ok, checked under the filler cap and i could see oil over the filler cap and under the rocker cover.

So i spoke to BaV for a little advice on what he rekons was up. so today i've checked that the oil was at a suitable level, then i dried under the oil filler cap, screwed it back on and started the car. i've let it get to running temperature (90) and the light hadn't come on the whole time. then i unscrewed the oil cap (it was a little tight) and then as it released there was defiantly pressure. there was a bit of oil which splashed out and if you was to leave the cap sitting there it would jump about from the pressure...

Does it sound like some sort of sensor? or does anyone know if there could be any other explanation??

Cheers

Like previously said, possibly your oil strainer is partially blocked in the sump, if you can get the vehicle scanned for diagnostic trouble codes and there is a code set for timing related faults i would look at getting a new oil pump fitted A.S.A.P. This is asuming your using 1.8t running gear?

If its not the 1.8t or there is no codes presenst for timing issues i would do as recomended and try cleaning electrical connector for oil level sensor in sump and maybe even require a new sensor.

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2010, 15:17 »
it was a different switch which was at fault. not the one on the sump. they checked the oil pressure from where the switch goes?

its done now anyway

Cheers for your help