Author Topic: 2.0 gti is not slow!  (Read 14318 times)

Offline eznugud

• Not said much yet
Re: 2.0 gti is not slow!
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2010, 15:44 »
Before I got this 1.8T I went to have a look at a 2.0, I have been out of the loop with Gti`s for 15 or so years and naturally thought that the 2.0 would be the better car................I took it for a little test drive and asked the chap if he minded if i put my foot down a little "no problem"........I was in second gear, I held on tight and floored it expecting to leave my face behind.....nothing, I turned to the chap who`s car it was and he said{no word of a lie} "its rapid dude".
I told him I was gob smacked at how slow it was and he didn't believe me when I told him that my Tdi Passat estate that was parked outside his house would leave it without even trying........I went home a little disillusioned thinking the Golf Gti was no more.
When I got home I found this forum, had a read and ended up getting a re-mapped 1.8t.......personal opinion here but the 2.0 should not have a gti badge on it, years ago if i remember correctly they did a mk2 that looked Gti {ish} and called it the Driver, maybe the 2.0 gti should have been badged 2.0 Driver   

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2010, 15:46 »
I turned to the chap who`s car it was and he said{no word of a lie} "its rapid dude".
you'd hardly expect him to say "it's sh1t ain't it!"

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2010, 15:51 »
personal opinion here but the 2.0 should not have a gti badge on it

FYI its only a GTI in the UK. In Europe its called a "Highline" and not badged as a GTI.

Offline eznugud

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2010, 16:05 »
I turned to the chap who`s car it was and he said{no word of a lie} "its rapid dude".
you'd hardly expect him to say "it's sh1t ain't it!"

It was more how it was said......I was all on keeping a straight face, it took him about 30 seconds to say the 3 words with "dude" taking at least 28 seconds on that.......

Offline eznugud

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2010, 16:07 »
personal opinion here but the 2.0 should not have a gti badge on it

FYI its only a GTI in the UK. In Europe its called a "Highline" and not badged as a GTI.

Right, cheers didn't know that....was there a lot of difference in price between them when new?

Offline Madmax

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2010, 17:13 »
The 2.0's are lovely cars & mine had a very good engine, when i first got it it felt nippy because it was my first car.
It's only when you have some fun from the lights you realize just how slow it is, i couldn't pull infront of some family wagon this one time. & with a 0-60 of over 10s, it's not surprising.

My N/A MR2 felt very similar in terms of power, it was quicker but you wouldn't think 3s+ as the stats say. Needless to say i didn't own that long. :tongue:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2010, 20:59 »
Yes it is.

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2010, 21:13 »
a 150 would leave you any day of the week. if it was chucking out black smoke it was more than likely remapped so IT WILL leave you everyday of the week :tongue:

Yes it is.

a spot of sarcasm I spot there Mr Rich :grin:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2010, 21:22 »
ok from a standing start acceleration isnt the best but when its up to pace it does handle very well with the power output  :wink:
:grin: and you have pirelli p6000 tyres fitted also  :huh: so that wouldnt help your handling much really  :laugh: probs one of the worst tyres other than el cheapo's you can fit not in the least made for performance well maybe not for a 1.8T could be suited for the 2.0 slow tho as they hardly will rip up rubber will they  :grin: i guess the same as others have said he wasn't trying a mapped 150 derv will keep with a 1.8T for abit due to the torque it produces so a 150 derv against a 2.0 slow ummmm the derv wins fact
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline stevie boy 01

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2010, 21:28 »
i love my wee golf 2.0 .. it is not quick of the mark but it will still do 120mph .. and much more reliable than the poor turbo models that are always breaking down or in getting fixed.....ha ha ha  .. just read the stories on here ... and i must agree its not that slow ... if you want to go fast , get the new nissan gtr... now thats fast...
life is simple when you drive a golf.......bmw... merc...