Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 3009 times)

Offline vwgolfv5

• Not said much yet
Coolant leak
« on: 08 March 2015, 15:10 »
I have a very annoying water coolant leak. There are no visible signs from where the leak is and my oil is clear of all signs from a head gasket.
When I had my anti freeze replaced a few months back, I asked the mechanic to give it a quick once over and he too could not see any signs of a leak.
But yet, at least once a week, my warning bleeper tells me that the expansion tank has dropped below the sensor and I have to top it up.

So, where is the water going ? and how can I fix it ?

Offline viperjsy

• I live here
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2015, 22:33 »
try changing the expansion tank my dash light came on and it was the tank that needed replacing

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2015, 22:41 »
On my mk4 it was the radiator that was leaking..very slowly.

Replaced,and all was ok
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline vwgolfv5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2015, 16:46 »
Thanks guys.
I will triple check the radiator. I don't think it is the expansion tank, it is too clean around that area, no signs at all of any leaks.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2015, 13:27 »
If there are no physical signs of a leak anywhere then it must be being burnt in the engine.
if there is no powdery white/pink (depending on colour of antifreeze) anywhere then it must be being burnt
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2015, 17:06 »
Might be worthwhile letting idle at 90 for 15 mins or so, check for any leaks, give a wee rev now and then, move the car and see if there is any leakage.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2015, 18:54 »
Might be worthwhile letting idle at 90 for 15 mins or so, check for any leaks, give a wee rev now and then, move the car and see if there is any leakage.
what good will this do  :whistle:

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2015, 20:20 »
This ^
Mine has had 3 pin hole leaks on the same metal pipe, it would only leak when the engine was hot. Also turn it off once its at 90 and remove the coolant bottle top (slowly). Should help it leak faster. 
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2015, 10:32 »

Its a better suggestion than the one you provided to the op  :whistle:

And to answer your question Barry, I had a toyota , few years back, it had pin hole leak at the top of the rad on the hot liquid entry side which only really became visable when a) the stat opened fully taking the coolant bypass out of the equation and the coolant temp was up to 90 b, the water pump was turning higher that the idle tick over.

it might be a stupid suggestion in your view, but any suggestion is better than none in my view!

« Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 10:54 by WadGTI »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2015, 21:02 »

Its a better suggestion than the one you provided to the op  :whistle:

And to answer your question Barry, I had a toyota , few years back, it had pin hole leak at the top of the rad on the hot liquid entry side which only really became visable when a) the stat opened fully taking the coolant bypass out of the equation and the coolant temp was up to 90 b, the water pump was turning higher that the idle tick over.

it might be a stupid suggestion in your view, but any suggestion is better than none in my view!
oh how exciting you had a Toyota once   :whistle: and if its taking a week for the coolant to drop below the sensor level I cant see 15mins making much difference