Author Topic: VW service parts rip off....  (Read 1953 times)

Offline colgtiturb

• Not said much yet
VW service parts rip off....
« on: 04 March 2015, 17:58 »
Hi Chaps,

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the parts prices for service consumables over the counter are a complete rip off?!?

My car has a full main dealer history, but as it's now 13 years old I'm starting to think about servicing it myself, especially as VW want to charge £149 for a minor which is just a few checks & an oil / oil filter change.

So I've phoned the dealer & got prices for the service parts & Euro Car Parts prices are probably 25%+ cheaper across the board, even with the genuine parts being supplied.

Only thing is ECP list loads of different spark plugs for my car & I'm confused as to which ones are best... Any ideas?? Car is a 2002 AUM 1.8T with Custom Code remap if that helps.

Cheers!

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
Re: VW service parts rip off....
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2015, 18:11 »
It's taken 13 years to work out the Vw are shafting you?

Get Mann filters from ECP as genuine Vw filters are mostly made by them.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline colgtiturb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2015, 18:29 »
I've always realised VW have been shafting me but liked the stamp in the book. Trouble us now they have a load of muppets working at the local dealership that don't look after the cars & their attitude is disgusting.

I'd rather do the work myself than give them the business.

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2015, 18:52 »
It's taken 13 years to work out the Vw are shafting you

:grin:

Yeah vw is only good this now for a free recall check and free valet.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2015, 20:10 »
Weird as I aways found my local dealer to be cheaper than most places about  :undecided:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2015, 22:00 »
In terms of a vw service stamp is that probably mostly labour cost?

Haven't been to VW parts desk in years, as there's a TPS 1/2 mile away :) They look after me, especially when I ask for a cheeky discount.

However ECP stock some good parts at reasonable prices, just have to avoid their cheapo option stuff.
You get what you pay for ;)

Build thread clicky

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2015, 22:34 »
Hi Chaps,

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the parts prices for service consumables over the counter are a complete rip off?!?

My car has a full main dealer history, but as it's now 13 years old I'm starting to think about servicing it myself, especially as VW want to charge £149 for a minor which is just a few checks & an oil / oil filter change.

So I've phoned the dealer & got prices for the service parts & Euro Car Parts prices are probably 25%+ cheaper across the board, even with the genuine parts being supplied.

Only thing is ECP list loads of different spark plugs for my car & I'm confused as to which ones are best... Any ideas?? Car is a 2002 AUM 1.8T with Custom Code remap if that helps.

Cheers!
They will, or some places will. I wanted a oil dip stick for my ford fiesta and they said 9 pound something , ok heres £10 , no its £90+  . Sod that..  :angry:
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2015, 09:49 »
If you want genuine parts, I sell them through my site (and ebay) http://oemandmore.co.uk/servicing-28-c.asp and at discounted prices compared to the dealers

I also stock Mann filters and NGK or Bosch plugs (If you let me know your reg, I can make sure the correct parts for your car are supplied)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2015, 21:22 »
I've recently made a friend with a local TPS sales rep who coincidentally happens to live 5minutes away from me so I don't even need to go to the store...best thing ever!  :smiley: