Author Topic: Front Wiper mech  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Front Wiper mech
« on: 02 February 2015, 12:04 »
Hi guys,

I had an issue before Christmas where my wipers were intermittently working, now I have checked and people said the mech spindles get worn and blah blah, so got a whole new unit off ebay and fitted and turned the wiper stalk on and nothing.. after delving a bit deeper, checked a fuse that was fine and my next point of call as its still not working will be the relay below and right of the steering wheel.

I just wanted to see if there could be anything that I have missed as obviously no wipers in winter aint great  :shocked:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Front Wiper mech
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2015, 11:26 »
So I wanted to give an update and get some more opinions please.
So I have changed another wiper mech and still nothing (just in case the other was faulty) no joy.
Changed the relay no joy

Does anyone else have any ideas?
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2015, 19:56 »
have you got a link , for the wiper mech you bought ?
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.

Offline viperjsy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2015, 20:42 »
hi it may be the stalk that might be nackerd

Offline tariqb

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2015, 19:09 »
i have a similar problem... I changed the wiper linkage under the bonnet - its the part under the top skirting immediately south of the windscreen.. then I went ahead and changed the 377 relay switch under the steering wheel..... again nothing. the only other things I think it could be would be the thermal relay switch or the stalk. I hope this helps

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2015, 18:58 »
Did any of this work include checking or changing the motor? Was it only the linkage you swapped out?

Build thread clicky

Offline tariqb

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2015, 20:01 »
no I changed the linkage, then the relay switch under the steering column and the fuse in the fuse box holder. I didn't test the motor as I don't have the equipment so despite changing the linkage it could be that.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2015, 12:59 »
so at first I checked all fuses etc, then I started with the linkages and motor replaced the whole lot, linkage and motor, then I thought, well what if the motor on this one is knackered so tried it with my old one and nothing. then tried a whole new linkage and motor that I got cheap and same result, just doesn't do anything not even squirt water onto the windscreen so must be something electrical no?

Changed the massive relay and nothing, next I have to try a fuse on top of the battery and from there a new stalk... gutted

I cant understand it though as the old one had all the symptoms of just the linkage being knackered, it would work occasionally but really slow and then one day just gave up, I did used to force the wiper arm up a tiny bit and that would sometimes allow the wipers to move again but as they were which was intermittent, then one day nothing

Offline tariqb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2015, 13:03 »
the only thing I can think it could be then is the thermal relay switch which is located right next to the other relay's - a small green and silver switch. you've done more than I have by changing the stalk- I have exactly the same problem so await a solution suggestion.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2015, 13:14 »
I cant find any kind of pictures / lay outs for the thermal relay, any searches come up with a MK2 Golf fuse board.