Author Topic: Darkside 1.8T front mount  (Read 4232 times)

Offline -Jamie-

• Just got here
Darkside 1.8T front mount
« on: 19 October 2014, 12:05 »
Hello I've been looking into purchasing a front mount and came across the darkside kit that comes from charged dubs for the 1.8T and was wondering if anyone is using this kit? seems like a decent kit but can't find any good reviews on it!  :smiley:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Darkside 1.8T front mount
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2014, 13:21 »
dom will be along soon to answer this as he was running it on his mk4 before selling up  :smiley:

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2014, 08:27 »
aren't they pretty pricey, everything I have seen from Darkside just seems to be overpriced.
go for the Wellycooler if I were you
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2014, 17:37 »
Probably no different to the turborevs one. Got my uprated one for £40 in very good shiny nick  :cool:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline -Jamie-

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2014, 15:10 »
Ah yeah I did look at the wellycooler but heard there's fitment issue behind the standard bumper with it being such a large inter cooler, only reason I looked at the darkside was it looked like an easy fitment.

Though this may be a stupid question but on the standard SMIC the pipe that comes from the turbo has 2 nipples on the metal pipe, one for the DV and one for something else though on the wellycooler setup i've looked at I can't find where people have put these nipples?

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2014, 21:50 »
Totally different to the wellycooler/turborevs and will fit easily behind the standard bumper.

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2014, 02:59 »
Fitment is a small fish in a big ocean when it comes to FMIC.  You need the coolers to flow and cool effectively.   There was a thread about the OCD cooler and im sure it had issues?

Get a 2.5" thick wellycooler and custom piping keeping bends to the minimum and be better IMHO

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2014, 13:13 »
Just re read this and there is no information on the turbo/ other mods.
You don't really want to fit an FMIC is you are running a K03, minimum would be at least a stage 1 K03s and all the supporting mods.  :smiley:

ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline andy68

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2014, 20:15 »
Cooler is very similar to the THS one, someone on UKMKIV's had problems with the hard piping leaking at welds, not sure if it was ever resolved though.

Offline tonysgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2014, 20:42 »
I have a ths cooler for sale in classifieds  mate if intrested