Author Topic: Boost Pipes popping off  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Boost Pipes popping off
« on: 16 October 2014, 12:23 »
Guys need some practical advice here, might seen daft but I have a constant issue (pretty much after a garage did my cam belt) I have the S3/TT hard boost pipe across the top of the block attaching into a silicone 90 degree silicone reducer (which I cut as close to measure as possible) onto the top of the turbo outlet.
Now since the cam belt was done its blown off twice at where it meets the hard boost pipe, I always clean both faces with carb cleaner to remove oil and use JCS hi grip clips, there is a lip on the hard pipe too but after say a week or so after being fitted its blowing clean off.
Any ideas on what I can do to stop this? happened this morning on the motorway (again) and needless to say not good coasting from 70mph on a busy motorway to the hard shoulder.

Cheers Guys
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
Re: Boost Pipes popping off
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2014, 12:44 »
tighten the clip more? :D

any chance that the pipe has been streched?

when the pipe is connected is it bent, i.e. not in its original shape and trying to spring back?

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2014, 13:11 »
tighten the clip more? :D - It'll snap  :sad:

any chance that the pipe has been streched? I doubt it, its 3 ply silicone hose and the turbo or hard pipe don't move  :grin:

when the pipe is connected is it bent, i.e. not in its original shape and trying to spring back? no it's not bent
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2014, 15:05 »
are you using just normal jubilee clips or bolt clamps?

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2014, 16:51 »
are you using just normal jubilee clips or bolt clamps?
i've just looked this up and they look like jubilee clips, So I would suggest trying a T clamp - if it wouldnt be too hard to install.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2014, 21:18 »
Bolt clamps won't fit the space on the hardpipe is just a touch wider than a standard jubilee before the lip, I am using JCS hi grip jubilee clips though not had a problem until the cam belt replacement

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2014, 19:06 »
JCS are usually up to the job. Could try adding another clip if possible.

2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

1.8T AUQ - 241bhp & 286 ft-lb
R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2014, 08:31 »
Hi Scott, nah there isn't any room  :cry:
Does anyone know of anywhere that does the silicone pipes with the clips built onto/into it?

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2014, 22:59 »