Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362315 times)

Offline Ormy72

• Not said much yet
Hi I've got a 59plate gti with 36000 on the clock .
Had it a few months now I think is the time to get tensioner done.
My question is
Do I have to change the chain as well?

Offline joe6

• I live here
Depends what is found when stripped. Sometimes the chain has stretched slightly and then that sometimes leads to the chain guide becoming worn. If so then both need changing. Should have thought it would be OK at 36k though. Worth checking the water pump at the same time.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline layzeedude

• Not said much yet
Looking at buying myself a mk6 GTi and just been made aware of this issue. There's obviously a fair few been stung by it but does any one know just how common it is? Are we talking 1 in every 100 cars suffering from it or 1 in 10,000?
cheers,
LD
Alfa Romeo Brera V6 4WD...for now

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Unfortunately mate I don't think you would be able to offer a %. I'll bet there are others that have gone and people of just payed whatever VW said or after their own personal negotiations. Not everyone looks to the internet for answers and many others have probably never heard of this site.

In short I'm saying not all cases will have been documented so it's an open ended question. If your looking to buy don't let this put you off as I'm sure it won't but personally having gone through this (mine failed last year) I would budget for the tensioner to be replaced and get the work done after your purchase for peace of mind in fact I would use this as a haggling tool. I know when I sell mine the fact it's got a new engine I'll be using that as a big plus so it goes both ways.

It's worth saying here that this issue seems to be only really affecting the 09 models and maybe early 10 since then the tensioner has been updated and thus far seems to have done the job..
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Clarkie

• Just got here
Just a little update to where I am with my car :-

Getting a replacement engine fitted with VW/dealer contributing 34%. I exhausted all other options but Volkswagen customer services would not budge (ridiculous!) and neither would the garage where my car currently is. It took one last call to the brand manager at the VW dealership where the car was purchased from to intervene and this was my only offer. Not happy having to pay that amount of money but I want the car sorted now it's been nearly a month!

If I had put the car to a VW dealership for the last two services I suspect the bill would be along the lines of what others have paid. It was stressed to me this was the reason for no goodwill. Hope to have the car back end of the week.

Offline Nicksapheno

• Just got here
if you hear the rattle get it fixed asap! i heard mine, booked it in to be changed and put her in the garage until my appointment date. Went to start her and a crunch later my tentioner has failed and now im arguing with vw australia about why i refuse to pay $15,000 for a new engine. Oh and while its in the garage im driving a hyundai...  :sick:

Offline B_roi89

• Just got here
Hi all,

So my timing chain tensioner has failed and I’m facing a £7,500 repair bill for a new engine…  I’m feeling pretty let down by Bristol Heritage VW who have taken over a month to identify the problem and now seem to be trying their best to make sure I never buy a VW again!

My cars an 09 plate with 39,000 miles and I’m being told that they are unlikely to contribute towards the cost of repairs. I have a full VW service history and bought through a dealership about 3.5yrs ago. I don’t feel as though I should have to pay for the cost of repairs being that it seems VW themselves have identified the faulty part and subsequently upgraded it, as well as releasing a TSB on the issue.

What would be really useful is if I could make reference to a few case numbers assigned to people’s repairs where they received a VW contribution. Is there anyone who has theirs to hand and would be willing to disclose this to me?

Any response or help on this would be hugely appreciated

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
As RocketRossUK advised, the work on mine has started. Good news until Ben rang to say we found some other issues, not only did the chain, tensioner and various guides need replacement, but one of the bearings had collapsed for one of the camshafts !!!! :cry:. But no problem VW would pick up the bill :smiley:. Pic below (hope it works !!!!!) of the wear by the failed bearing. Had it seized then the damage would have been a lot worse. Glad I got it sorted now.

About page 10 on this topic, I paid a nominal fee to have mine changed prior, rattle was getting worse, so if VW contribute towards that why no contribution towards a failure?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Poached

• I live here
Hi all,

So my timing chain tensioner has failed and I’m facing a £7,500 repair bill for a new engine…  I’m feeling pretty let down by Bristol Heritage VW who have taken over a month to identify the problem and now seem to be trying their best to make sure I never buy a VW again!

My cars an 09 plate with 39,000 miles and I’m being told that they are unlikely to contribute towards the cost of repairs. I have a full VW service history and bought through a dealership about 3.5yrs ago. I don’t feel as though I should have to pay for the cost of repairs being that it seems VW themselves have identified the faulty part and subsequently upgraded it, as well as releasing a TSB on the issue.

What would be really useful is if I could make reference to a few case numbers assigned to people’s repairs where they received a VW contribution. Is there anyone who has theirs to hand and would be willing to disclose this to me?

Any response or help on this would be hugely appreciated

VW should pay for the engine and then you will have to negotiate just how much the dealer would like to fleece you on labour to repair a manufacturing defect :rolleyes:.

I haven't got my case reference to hand, I may have posted it on the forum but pm Jimmgc51 and see if he can remember his as I quoted this when my engine needed replacing.

If needs be I can contact them and find out what the number was.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Hey,

Yeah my ref was 09-022091

Shayma handeld my enquiry.

£675 all in for my fix!!

Anything else just let me know..

Jimmy

My Message to Poached last year, give em sh** pal I went berserk with them. Also make sure the garage has ACTUALLY contacted Germany cos in my case the guy at the desk was quoting me +£5,000 based on price of engine and labour etc but when he EVENTUALLY contacted Germany the fault code flagged on the system as 100% parts straight away, this dropped the bill to £1,500 labour.

Then as above I argued this down to £675....
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house