Author Topic: New Golf GTI (230ps) seats are killing me.  (Read 6624 times)

Offline esoxhunter

• Just got here
New Golf GTI (230ps) seats are killing me.
« on: 25 April 2018, 23:29 »
I have a new 230ps GTI. It is the most uncomfortable car I have owned by a country mile. 400 miles and 2 bedsores later plus severe back issues- either the car goes or I buy some comfortable seats.
Can anyone recommend a pair of front seats that will give me a comfortable long distance drive.
The oem seats look very good and offer the comfort of 1” plywood. I love the drive, but the seats have ruined any pleasure for me.
Any advice gratefully received.
Kind regards, Arthur

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: New Golf GTI (230ps) seats are killing me.
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 00:45 »
What were you driving before the GTI?  I find the seats strike the right balance between support and comfort.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 01:44 »
I'd speak with an automotive upholsterer before making any drastic decisions.  I'm sure they could add padding/reshape/adjust your seats to suit your needs.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline esoxhunter

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 06:56 »
My previous car was a Mazda 3 , BBR tune stage 1.
I am 14 1/2 stone, and I most certainly don’t find the seats strike a balance- There are seriously uncomfortable. I wanted a car to travel 400 miles without fatigue, as it’s name implies GT . In all other respects it is a brilliant car, very quick, punchy, lnfotainment/ sat nav to die for, and beautifully finished. A classy car with comfort less seats.
Upholsterers yes, it is a possibility. First I see VW, today , and I will probably take a hit , after all I have a used car now, all 400 miles of it. I feel very annoyed that the only alternative is a Passat 2.0 TSI , hardly what I had in mind. I need four doors see...
I have also latched on to Recaro Ergomed seats at £ 2000 each.......Or I could lose weight and lock the car away for a year.  It’s a real problem. Thank you for the replies so far. Arthur

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 08:08 »
Curious as to what it is about the std seats which don't suit you.  Lack of padding?  Lack of support - back, base or under-thigh?  Too tight bolsters?  More info might help with suggested remedies which won't see you pee a large sum down the drain - probably unnecessarily.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2018, 23:38 »
First thing I would do is to totally reset your seat the steering wheel position.

Google how to set up the best driving position, theres loads of guides. Even the slightest bad position can make you feel uncomfortable and lead to back pain and fatigue etc. Simply having to reach a bit too far for the steering wheel, and having the seat tilted a too far back, puts pressure on your spine, the combinations are endless and rife for an uncomfortable drive.

2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2018, 04:45 »
I find the R seats which are the same as the GTI very good indeed, even after a long trip my back is fine. I had a CC before but I'd get back ache with those ones. I could never get the driving position quite right.

Might be worth starting the set up again as mentioned above.... hope you sort it

BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2018, 07:15 »
I find the GTI seats a bit tight across my upper back but very comfortable otherwise.
I would also look into adjusting them correctly before I got rid of the car or spent a fortune changing the seats.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2018, 07:49 »
I got standard leather seats but on a long drive I do get a pain like a kidney punch, I put it down to my health rather than the seats, it wasn’t as bad in my mk6 tho

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2018, 08:03 »
Weren't the seats uncomfortable on the test drive? If they really don't suit you, surely that was the time to look elsewhere!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.