Author Topic: When Eco mode isn't Eco mode....  (Read 8270 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: When Eco mode isn't Eco mode....
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2019, 15:22 »
Throttle response was poor in mine in every mode, the pedal box makes it perfect and most of the time I use Normal because the soundaktor is too noisy (but I don't want to switch it off as sometimes I like it)..
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2019, 19:22 »
If you're in Eco mode with DSG in "E" gear selection, you have marginal gains from freewheeling down gradients.

So...how many people drive theirs in Eco and Normal, then added a pedal box because their throttle response felt dull?

My experience from the daily commute dictates otherwise. Freewheeling gives a small but noticeable mpg improvement and I have never been able to hit such low consumption figures as when I drive in ECO on the same route, same conditions. This (and not the lazier throttle response) is why on the boring slow drives where no real progress can be made I switch to ECO and go on an economy challenge. With a pedal box you cancel out the lazy throttle response too so the drive is still bearable. Let's not forget that throttle response of ECO mode with a pedal box on is miles better than the one of Sport mode!

However, the above is true when you want to drive as economically as possible (ie. always outside of turbo spool). For normal driving with mixed acceleration scenarios the ECO's benefit of coasting is eliminated by a) the lazy throttle response and b) the limited boost available. Not sure how known this is but in ECO mode the ECU limits boost to something like 0.6-0.8bar IIRC (that's on a CS) from the full 1.2 bar on Normal and Sport so in an acceleration scenario you will work the engine longer to get where you want. That would explain the less MPG in ECO than in Normal reported a few posts back, assuming it concerned mixed driving.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2019, 14:25 »
How timely this debate is. I have only just discovered Eco mode after having had the car for a year (7.5 dsg pp). It really does test the skill of looking ahead and having your horizon in the distance.

It is a pain to have to press the mode button five times to return to eco. It is the most inaccessible button on a rhd car.  Do it too quickly and you miss eco. I don't want to look down and I value tactile buttons.

My driving style then alternates between eco and sport which I select using the gear selector. Sport gives me everything I need at junctions and overtaking, eco gives me 41 mpg in mostly town driving.

So you have two cars: an impressively economical car that minimises wear and a beat-anything-else-on-the-road fire breather. Switch between them using that quaint old thing that looks like a retro gear lever.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2019, 14:45 »
How timely this debate is. I have only just discovered Eco mode after having had the car for a year (7.5 dsg pp). It really does test the skill of looking ahead and having your horizon in the distance.

It is a pain to have to press the mode button five times to return to eco. It is the most inaccessible button on a rhd car.  Do it too quickly and you miss eco. I don't want to look down and I value tactile buttons.

My driving style then alternates between eco and sport which I select using the gear selector. Sport gives me everything I need at junctions and overtaking, eco gives me 41 mpg in mostly town driving.

So you have two cars: an impressively economical car that minimises wear and a beat-anything-else-on-the-road fire breather. Switch between them using that quaint old thing that looks like a retro gear lever.

Press it once, then press the Eco button on the screen!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2019, 14:55 »
Thanks, but then I need to move my hand to a different place. It is no longer just a tactile manoeuvre. Also I'll need to clean the fingermark off the screen later.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2019, 18:13 »
More to the point why on earth do you want to drive in eco mode anyway!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2019, 19:35 »
More to the point why on earth do you want to drive in eco mode anyway!!

I don't get it either. I've tried it and it was terrible, no power to overtake and amazingly the economy wasn't any better :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2019, 19:55 »
Thanks, but then I need to move my hand to a different place. It is no longer just a tactile manoeuvre. Also I'll need to clean the fingermark off the screen later.

You should definitely get that massive screen removed your car then, quick.  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2019, 21:47 »
Each to their own but I tried eco mode once and that didn't last long before it went back to normal/sport.
My only occasional nod towards eco driving is sometimes seeing what score i can get on the think blue jobby

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2019, 08:24 »
I try that too but never ever in eco mode  :grin: best game is trying it in sport mode  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.