Author Topic: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread  (Read 27837 times)

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread
« on: 08 June 2013, 18:37 »
Hi hope im not stepping on anyone's toes here. I just wanted to see if we can share a few thoughts on 1.8T induction, and have it all in one place.

I have an AGU golf, remapped by Chris at Midland VW and it made 181hp and 217lbft. Toatally standard, supermarket fuel.

I have now switched to Vpower at all times, renewed all hosing under the bonnet with silicone, Forge TIP, new 710N DV, charcoal delete and the block/head vents to atmos. she peaks at 16psi, and has had a full service inc plugs and belts, sump drop and three oil refills since. sitting happy at 103k.

Now, at first i did this to the airbox after the pictured wine. I also put in a pipercross foam filter

now, i feel that while the OE snorkel and inake is a reasonable idea to source could air, the route it takes is far too long. and restrictive.
At this point i considered the DSG setup, but its still a long tract to take.

I felt the above was acceptable as it was as good as an open cone, yet has a direct cold feed from the OE snorkel. The pick up was a lot beter, seemed to pull better at high revs also. sound wise the dump was loud, but the growl at low revs sounded a little odd.
It still however sucked up warm air, even though the engine side was shielded. 

i then bought this

The £14 Honda S2000 cone and £14 silicone coupler.
Now, on a certain Audi forum this is all the rage. S3's and A3's. Personally it was a little too much and a little too little for my AGU.
It sounded like a jet taking off every time the throttle was half open. It was LOL loud. Too much for a daily driver. It also sucked in all the hot air around it. And, it made the car feel flat. im not sure if that was because it flattened out the power curve, but it felt like some torque had been lost. It was removed for the butchered air box.

I then fitted a Forge TIP. WOW. the car pulls and pulls in the top revs. it was absolutely being chocked before.
This made me want to find a compromise, which led me to this

And its great! it sucks in all the air it needs, while still being fed cold stuff at speed from the OE snorkel. It sounds good too, and i hope isnt sucking in much hot air.

now, the OE setup just after the map, using the OE snorkal pulled 144 mg/s on the MAF. Dividing using the 0.8 method leaves me with 180hp. What the RR said!

The final set up now leaves me with 152mg/s = 190hp. Happy days.

Not scientific, but it certainly drives better, sounds better, and is cheap!

« Last Edit: 08 June 2013, 18:44 by paultownsend »

Offline Scott D

• I live here
Re: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2013, 19:32 »
I've lost count over the amount of induction kit's had in the past and spent a small fortune on them all to end up with a £20 S2000 filter and ebay heat shield  :grin:

Vaguely remember doing logging with a Jetex cone against standard airbox a couple of years ago which resulted in slightly less g/s after WOT runs with the airbox.

Worst filter had was a Pipercross enclosed think it was called a Venom - lost around 15bhp IIRC

Forge TIP and good fuel will be helping and if the airbox is working for you then happy days  :smiley:
2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

1.8T AUQ - 241bhp & 286 ft-lb
R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2013, 20:24 »
I sold myself short. It was 153.5 g/s  :grin: but inlet temps were sky high 30'c.

Wish I had tested the s2k filter properly now.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2013, 22:35 »
What intercooler do you have mate?

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2013, 00:00 »
OE SMIC at the momento

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2013, 09:49 »
Hmm, wondering what affect this would have to mine with an FMIC...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline steverubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2013, 10:33 »
Mines stage 2'd, but my air intake is the standard box, with a pipercross panel filter, but with a direct cold intake from behind the lower grill directly to the box intake

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2013, 11:23 »
steve, that was the other route i was going to take. but its a long route for the air to flow.

wazzer, what set up are you using at the moment?

and gents, pictures are needed!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2013, 12:34 »
I have the DSG parts with a green cotton panel filter. TBH I'm not looking for performance gains, I'd just like a little bit more induction noise, but without compromising the inlet temps. I've got the advantage of WMI as well though

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2013, 13:01 »
I'd get a spare air box and try it out!

With WMI I can't see inlet temps being an issue :)

It's more the colder, dense air we all need.

My car is at its fastest on damp cold mornings.