Author Topic: Help can't open car  (Read 8417 times)

Online Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Help can't open car
« Reply #30 on: 19 November 2020, 22:40 »
Had the very same thing happen to my two month old car last Sunday!

Locked the car on the drive then went to open later in the afternoon and nothing!

Found out how to change battery and replaced with a new one but still nothing, no red light nothing..

Checked both batteries with my multimeter and both were reading over three volts so they were ok.

The spare key opened the car no problems...

I've had to book the car in at my dealers but because I need a car they can't see it until January 2021, if it wasn't for cv-19 they said I could have gone in at the weekend, unfortunately they want it in for two days to run diagnostics!

As the spare worked ok I'm hoping it just needs a new key fob.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2020, 23:45 »
Had the very same thing happen to my two month old car last Sunday!

Locked the car on the drive then went to open later in the afternoon and nothing!

Found out how to change battery and replaced with a new one but still nothing, no red light nothing..

Checked both batteries with my multimeter and both were reading over three volts so they were ok.

The spare key opened the car no problems...

I've had to book the car in at my dealers but because I need a car they can't see it until January 2021, if it wasn't for cv-19 they said I could have gone in at the weekend, unfortunately they want it in for two days to run diagnostics!

As the spare worked ok I'm hoping it just needs a new key fob.

Same here, main key fob died , changed the battery but that did not work so booked it in for three weeks later, used the spare for a week before that also died so my wife took both fobs to vw apparently they tried about six batteries before getting both fobs working again, that was five weeks ago but last weekend the original fob died again, I tried a brand new battery reading 3.2 v but it did not work ( in either fob as I tried) so removed the battery from the spare fob and swapped them around, ended up with both to be working. I have no idea what is going on, mine is a no 7.5 for reference.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2020, 13:24 »
Car informed me the battery in my fob needed replacing a couple of months ago, (Mk7, not keyless). Got a new battery but it didn't work. Tried it in the spare key and it didn't work in there either. Put the original battery back in and just carried on. Warning came up again so got another battery and tried again with same result in both keys. Getting annoyed now as thought I'd managed to buy a couple of duff batteries when I realised there was a protective cover on the back of the battery. Removed that and everything worked!  :grin:

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2020, 15:36 »
 :whistle: Love the honesty mb, make me laugh :smiley:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2020, 17:55 »
Honestly, I found this once bought 4 duracell 2025 from Tesco all were rubbish. Bought 2 from Morrisons no issues. If no red light blame it on the battery first.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2020, 13:59 »

Same here, main key fob died , changed the battery but that did not work so booked it in for three weeks later, used the spare for a week before that also died so my wife took both fobs to vw apparently they tried about six batteries before getting both fobs working again, that was five weeks ago but last weekend the original fob died again, I tried a brand new battery reading 3.2 v but it did not work ( in either fob as I tried) so removed the battery from the spare fob and swapped them around, ended up with both to be working. I have no idea what is going on, mine is a no 7.5 for reference.

I had a very similar situation to yourself. I couldn't work it out either.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2020, 14:02 »
Still seems odd to to me the batteries only last 8 months or so but they didn't seem surprised.

Is it not because they are constantly transmitting?

The new BMW fobs go to sleep if left idle after a few minutes so that should help with the batteries and security.
I'd imagine VW would follow suit if not doing it already.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2020, 20:41 »
I had my GTi pp for three and half years and only replaced the batteries once in one key fob and that was at about the three year mark, maybe just before.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2020, 22:36 »
Ya I’ve had my GTi 7 years now and only on the 2nd battery
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 03 December 2020, 14:01 »
One aspect I haven’t seen mentioned is why isn’t the battery replacement for keyless cars part of the VW service schedule? I had my car serviced by VW at the end of May (major service). In the summer we met up with some friends for a walk in a National Trust park. On return to the car I thought I would show off the keyless entry. Nothing happened. So I deduced flat battery. Not being quite as well organised as SRGTD (who posted earlier in this thread), I did have a spare battery but it was in the car. Not in the wallet as well.
So, I removed the plastic cover from the door handle and used the mechanical key to enter the car.  Great, except the alarm goes off. Try to silence the alarm but “key not present “ (or similar) is the display message.
I then of course have to go through removal and replacement of the battery with the din of the alarm, not to mention suspicious looks from onlookers. New battery in and all is ok.
But going back to my opening question, why isn’t this key fob battery replaced during servicing? For most non car enthusiasts my National Trust scenario would have meant a long wait for the AA.
2019 7.5 P/P DSG