Author Topic: 2.0 8v tuning - do people do engine mods ???  (Read 18916 times)

Offline GavGti

• GTI forum regular
2.0 8v tuning - do people do engine mods ???
« on: 23 April 2008, 21:44 »
don't hear much on the tuning side of things on here , just seems to be bout problems with cars or fitting exhausts etc

do people not tune their engines - like cams, pulleys, inlet manifolds, enlarged throttle boddies, carbs, t/b's and aftermarket management etc

use to vauxhalls and some of the things u can do is silly - like 200bhp from a 1.6 16v (lots of money and work mind) but still do-able

any1 done diy turbo conversions or fitted superchargers etc ?

or is engine conversion the way to go - like a 1.8 T for example

Offline ollie6n

• GTI forum regular
  • Spartan Lowrider!
Re: 2.0 8v tuning - do people do engine mods ???
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2008, 21:58 »
8v's are the wrong engine's to start with, It's all about 16v's  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: then it gets fun!

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2008, 22:25 »
in america they tune the 8v with turbo's.......but in the uk we dont see the point when the vr6 is little more cash

oh yeah the 16v can give about 170bhp with chip,exhaust,filter and head/cam work!! but let's not blow there trumpets too much :lipsrsealed:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2008, 23:28 »
you cant realy fit side draft carbs due to the engine lying back a bit,  I looked into this.. it makes it tricky unless you have the US Head.  you could bore the cylinders, fit good oversized pistons then fit a very well ported and polished head with Megasquirt ITB's hmmm  of course cam it etc..  but then why? stupid money when you could drop in a 16V/VR6 engine.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2008, 00:12 »
Supercharger, seen a few 8vs with superchargers on them, dont know what they get? probs like 170bhp like the g60? or am i wrong, i dunno.

Either way, get a 1.8turbo engine........

pft.....

Offline ollie6n

• GTI forum regular
  • Spartan Lowrider!
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2008, 01:39 »
Supercharger, seen a few 8vs with superchargers on them, dont know what they get? probs like 170bhp like the g60? or am i wrong, i dunno.

Either way, get a 1.8turbo engine........

pft.....

Too many 1.8 tuuuuurbs makes for a bunch of boring duuuurbs

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2008, 08:43 »
Theres a guy on ed38 whos just seen 170 brake and over 200 ft/lbs of torque from an eaton charged 8v, hes looking to up the boost and run a decat and 4 branch and thinks he should see 200...

im aiming for 200 with my eaton also...

it depends on what you want from the engine too...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2008, 18:01 »

Preferably to stay in once piece?  :grin:  What pistons do you use with the supercharger?  Dont say stacked gaskets  :laugh:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2008, 23:43 »

Preferably to stay in once piece?  :grin:  What pistons do you use with the supercharger?  Dont say stacked gaskets  :laugh:

heard there is pistons from an audi that are direct fit.. dunno what model it was mind.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2008, 23:47 »

heard there is pistons from an audi that are direct fit.. dunno what model it was mind.

the 94-96 audi a4 2.0 uses the same ady/agg engines!! hence why there direct fit!!  :wink:

oh and when i buy parts I buy them for a sharan 2.0 as they seem to be cheaper for some bizarre reason (same ady engine code in these!! but some service parts are lower cost and better avalibility??)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk