Author Topic: Jon's 91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI  (Read 63322 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Jon's 91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI
« Reply #210 on: 15 July 2012, 18:34 »
Looking awesome mate.. How much stealth charge for immob defeat ?
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #211 on: 15 July 2012, 19:46 »
Awesome work :afro: bet you cannot wait for the 1st drive now.

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #212 on: 16 July 2012, 10:00 »
Cheers chaps, yeah I can't wait.

Tech1889 - It was £85+VAT for the defeat. Top guys at Stealth, can't recommend them enough. I had it back within 3 days.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2012, 00:36 by jmsheahan »

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #213 on: 26 July 2012, 12:22 »
Got a couple of hours in last weekend to bleed the brakes and fix the alternator wiring which has now stopped the battery light being on perm. Bled the brakes all through but annoyingly it seems one of the back calipers has seized on after bleeding which is odd as it was fine before. Piston is stuck solid and won't re-wind/free up so looks like I may need a replacement as it's rusty as hell and looks original. Quick spin round the block didn't free it off either. Kicking myself for flogging the Ibiza ones now!

Fast forward to yesterday and took a look at the idling (or lack of) problem. Boshed the old 8v ISV on to see if it made a difference and hey presto one idling ABF  :cool: . It would seem for some reason the ABF ISV has died in transit from the Ibiza to the Golf which is a bit odd  :huh:. Left both of them soaking in petrol overnight again just to get the last of the gunk out and to see if the ABF one can be resurrected.

Was having a rummage through the paper work that came with the Ibiza and stumbled across an interesting document. A SEAT dealer receipt for the fitting of a chip to the ECU and a remap totalling best part of £300. Other scraps of paper in the folder suggest a company called Sjbsport (seems they do not exist anymore?) and someones hand written statement of an additional 12bhp (hmm :grin:) to be achieved from it. If anyone can shed any light on this please shout  :smiley:

Replacement rear caliper showed up today along with some ATE Racing Blue fluid too so round two with the braking system this weekend.

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #214 on: 29 July 2012, 23:04 »
Few more hours put in to the car this weekend. First on the agenda was to bleed the brakes up.

Armed with 2 litres of ATE Super Blue and a glamorous assistant, two rounds of the brakes with the traditional 2-man bleed method saw the pedal still feeling a bit rubbish. Decided to give a pressure bleeder a go and got a lot more air out but I'm still not overly happy with the result - will have to revisit this at a later date but at least for now I have some form of brakes and a handbrake that works.

New caliper fitted up which is a huge improvement on the seized rusty one that came off.

With that complete I nipped up the hub nuts to a decent torque, a quick bucket of water thrown over it to remove several months dust and boshed a few finishing touches on to the car  :cool:

16v badges:

UK legal pressed plates (bit 'scene' I know but they look a lot tidier than the cracked plastic ones I removed)

So yeah pretty much conversion complete now (other than mocking up a better ECU tray for the car, vac line is also now connected). Just the G60 arches to go and a damn good clean/polish. MOT is in sight  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 01 August 2012, 00:36 by jmsheahan »

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #215 on: 17 August 2012, 23:01 »
Took this down to the MOT station yesterday in the hope I'd get to drive it soon. Alas it was not mean't to be  :rolleyes:

Dropped it off, 2 hours later a phone call from the garage - 'We've got your car in but it misfired during the emissions test and now won't restart, could you come have a look?'. Superb. So off I trot down to there to have a look, nothing obvious but problem seems to be no spark output. Had no choice but to tow it home to investigate further.

Once home I popped another coil on it and it fired right up so feeling quite chuffed I went down the pub. Today I decided to try the old coil again just to check it def was that and it fired up first time again no problem! Hmm! New coil on the way regardless but Vagcom reveals the code:

00747 - Cylinder 1 Recognition Sensor (G145)
03-00-No Signal

Code points towards a Hall sender problem but what I'm not sure is if 'no signal' means the hall sender is not sending a signal or whether it's not receiving a signal. Got a horrible feeling it's the bloody new crank sender that's temperamental which is a ball-ache to change and very £££ from the dealer. If anyone can shed any light on the problem please do share  :smiley:

Odd thing is it idles and seems fine on the drive, I just don't want a repeat MOT performance again and can't roadtest the car without a pass  :grin:

Never a dull day with a MK2!
« Last Edit: 17 August 2012, 23:03 by jmsheahan »

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #216 on: 19 August 2012, 01:08 »

Never a dull day with a MK2!

But it's a Mk3 engine and the ABF does have problems like this sometimes. Mine certainly did.

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 21 August 2012, 20:27 »
Tell me about it! Starting to get really fecked off with the Mk3 management! It seems unbelievably picky and sensitive compared to the 8v digi components of before.

Few small updates on the Mk2's progress.

Went over everything again and it made it's maiden voyage to the MOT station last week with the aim of being able to take to the Retro Rides Gathering Sunday just gone. Managed to wangle a slot on short notice as my local garage is sound and like their VW's. Unfortunately I got a phonecall mid morning saying 'Jon, we have your car on the ramps but missfired, cut out and won't restart. Could you come down and take a look'? Arses.

Popped down to have a gander and couldn't see anything obviously amiss. Quick bit of fault finding revealed no spark so had no choice but to tow the car home again. MOT incomplete. Once home I popped a new coil on just to see if it would start and hey presto fired straight up! Great! The next day I decided to try the old coil again just to be doubly sure it was that but the car fired up straight away again on the old coil. Hmm.

Got Vag-com on it which revealed the code:

00740 - Cylinder 1 Recognition Sensor (G145)
03-00 - No Signal

Possible Hall code fault. Weird. Boshed a new ECU relay in there for good measure as well to rule that out but it seems it's still missfiring but with no fault codes this time. If anyone has any ideas on this please do share. My gut feeling says that the new crank sensor I replaced (topran) is faulty but I'm unsure.

Anyhow all of which put the RR Gathering well and truly out of reach meaning I would be in foul mood all of Sunday  :grin:. Decided instead I'd crack open a few beers, the machine polisher and tidy up the bodywork and interior seeing as the car hadn't been cleaned properly in months.

Shiny new coil:

New 30 ECU Relay (part numbers in case anyone wants them):

Whilst cleaning the interior I managed to somehow break the hazard light switch meaning it was inoperable. FFS! Took it all apart and it appeared the white plastic catch had snapped. So, new one of those fitted:

With that sorted I got on with addressing 'Tornado Pink'

Came up quite nicely if I do say so myself  :cool:

Just got to get the bugger running right now and fit the G60 arches.

That's all for now, cheers for reading  :smiley:

Offline Ice_ken

• Here all the time
« Reply #218 on: 27 November 2013, 22:12 »
wow man you're car looks awesome. I bought a 3 door t-red myself. The ronal ls's look damn good.