Author Topic: Temp sensor/ horse shoe help!  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Godzilla

• I live here
  • <<<VR6 MADNESS>>>
Temp sensor/ horse shoe help!
« on: 26 January 2015, 19:02 »
I bought a new temp sender for my PD130 earlier.

Getting the horse shoe clip that holds the sensor out was a real sod. Anyway got it out and put the new temp sensor in, then put the horse shoe clip in to hold it in place......No joy. The sensor stayed in place but a slight pull on the sensor and out it popped. Kept on trying to get this clip to hold it in and then the dam thing snapped in half (the clip) Called up the local mechanic and asked if he could help. He said if I get my car to him he will fit a new clip.....But getting the car to him means a 2 mile drive, will this be safe as in the new temp sensor is in but a very slight pull and it falls out. I dont have anyone I can ask to give me a tow so a bit stuck as dont want to drive down the road and for the sensor to fall out and all the water to be lost.....Any ideas?

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Temp sensor/ horse shoe help!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2015, 20:53 »
have you left the old O ring in there? They can get stuck...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Godzilla

• I live here
  • <<<VR6 MADNESS>>>
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2015, 23:42 »
I took the old O ring out bud as it was in the housing and put it over the new sensor. Sensor goes in the housing nice and well.........But just cant seem to get the horse shoe clip to hold the sensor in?

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2015, 09:37 »
Give the housing a clean and get a new o-ring (thought you would have got one in the box). New horse shoe clip cost about £1 from TPS if I can recall?

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2015, 13:56 »
you find the sensor is too far in/out by a few mm, this can stop the clip going around. I'm pretty sure you can order just the clip itself from the stealers
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2015, 14:30 »
I had an issue getting the old sensor out, not so much in though.

It goes in so far, then I had to give it as good a wack as I could and it 'pops' into place...

Hope you get it sorted.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2015, 20:33 »
#double post

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2015, 20:34 »