Author Topic: T_J_G - 1.8 Driver  (Read 4327 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
T_J_G - 1.8 Driver
« on: 30 March 2006, 12:51 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: T_J_G - 1.8 Driver
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2006, 13:34 »
Thanks JV.

Right here we go:

i bought this car locally for 420 quid. Witha  carb problem (you know- the high idling and so on) i set myself 130 pound aside to by a new carb for it. After buying the car my Dad didn't want me to drive it as my in-experience could casuee an accidnet if it suddenly over revved.

It had covered 125,000 miles. Bodywork was pretty mint.

Here is picture:

the car was completely standard, and had been well looked after (mostly serviced over at VW in Germany)

Few days later no luck with the problem, but after some help from the forum. i found the problem out, 2 wires had come out of the back of the carb. this has cured the problem, but it still idles quite high. More of that in a minute.

Then i spoke to my mate about the wheels i wanted, i wanted Revolution 5 spokes in black with chrome lip.

And he said his boss had a set sitting in his workshop doing sod all.

So i went to see him. the wheels were in a bad way and needed a good clean but i got them for 70 quid (for 5) with 4 new Yokohoma tyres on!Score!

New what to tidy up the back end, i ordered some red/smoked lenses for the rear, i then debadged it (the whole car)

I took the Driver one of front and rear then went to remove the 'golf' one and realised it left 3 holes. So i took it off and reprayed it in black, same with the big VW one.

the front grill was replaced with a debadged 4 light grill.

Next was the interior, i bought a Mountney steering wheel and boss for it which is now on:

Complete pictures of car:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2006, 13:37 »
Just ordered some stuff from GSF

4 new wheel bearings
inlet manifolf and coolant 'o' ring - hopefully cure said problem.
Oil
and oil filter.

Near future plans:

Big bumpers, from a scrap yard possibly.
Lowering (coilovers)
Exhaust system

Long term:
New cam
2l bottom end

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2006, 14:51 »
Put new bosch sparks in today and did the lay flat wiper conversion!

:smiley:

Got the stuff I ordered, should be changing coolant 'o' ring and doing oil change on Monday.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2006, 17:34 »
right changed the coolant 'o' ring and inlet manifold gasket day before yesterday, then decided to do a full oil change, i'm not runnining Quantum Synta oil.

:smiley:

Today, i have colour-coded the plinth above the number plate, i will sort pictures when i can.

Depending on money tomorow, i may order some F k adjustable coilovers, but i must try and find some big bumpers!

:sad:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2006, 15:41 »
Found a few dents of late. Probs from trolleys at work!  :undecided:

I've sorted the timing,CO mixture and idle speeds and she run's like a good'un but still idles high when cold!

:huh: