Author Topic: Horney - Daily Driver Project  (Read 4287 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Horney - Daily Driver Project
« on: 09 June 2005, 18:32 »
I guess I should start this by explaining why I have my GTi.

It all started 6 years ago when I was turning 21 and my folks wanted to know what I wanted for my 21st birthday present. "A MKI Golf GTi" was what I uttered, but this was well out of my folks budget so in the end I found a lovely MKII 8v Digifant Gti on an F plate in Tornado red. It was small bumpered with a lovely set of BBS alloys and I loved it. Over the next two years I spent loads on it fitting new alloys, big bumpers, Spax shocks and Eibach springs, ICE and buying a VR6 engine for it. Due to some over spirited driving I stacked it into a van before ever fitting the VR6 lump. The damage was pretty bad but the insurance company stumped up and repaired it. However the insurance renewal of £2600 fully comp meant I could no longer afford to drive it and it was consigned to a corner of the driveway. My long term plan was to rebuild it and fit the VR6 and drive a Ford KA till I was a little older. It seemed some theiving little scum had other ideas and it was stolen off my drive and never seen again, it was also uninsured as I wasn't using it so I lost everything :-(. After 12 months of noGolf and just the KA I was going insane and decided I needed another car to put a smile on my face so along came the mini (My beloved Kylie). Cheap to insure and quick for what it is, what has happened to her over the three years of ownership is another story (and about £12k) and you can find out all about that on www.minifinity.com , but here is a lovely picture of her as she is at the moment.

As Kylie has become somewhat of a trophy and show and shine queen I needed something to do the daily grind and this where the current GTi comes in. I shopped around for all sorts of dreadful cars to do the grind, things like a Rover 214, Rover Metro, knackered fiesta etc. With a budget of around £400 my hopes were not high! So while checking on insurance of the above mentioned old bangers I thought I'd stick in a quote for the Golf to see how much it had come down with me now being an older (and eledgedly wiser) man. To say I was dumbstruck that it was less than a 15 year old Rover 214 is an understatement. Armed with my £400 I came here and on Ebay in what I thought was an impossible task of getting a GTi for that money.

As luck would have it I managed to get this one for a song and within budget. It had an almost complete VWSH and reciepts going back to day one including the delivery note. Below are some pictures of what it looked like shortly after I picked it up.

So there I am with a standard MKII 8v as my daily car. Well much as I love em I think they look so much better with the eyebrow fitted so off I trotted to GSF and bought one and painted it and fitted it.

THe eyebrow was the start of a slippery slope! Next were the wheels. I managed to pick up the 15" TSW blades off a chap on this forum for £50 including tires and with a lick of paint on the calipers it looked much improved if not somewhat high. As it turns out the suspension was shot and so a streetline kit was ordered through Euro Car Parts of Leeds and was fitted with the kind assistance of Lewy also from this forum. Now I'm getting somewhere but I thought I better leave it at that. Somewhere alongthe line I also bought the clear side repeaters and and front inidicators.

Well that all looks lovely I thought, but you know those standard rear lamps really don't make it look like a GTi do they? So off I trolled to ebay once more and after much hassle, one set of broken lamps and many overpriced items I eventually got some half smoked 16v lights for it.

« Last Edit: 09 June 2005, 22:54 by Horney »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Horney - Daily Driver Project
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2005, 22:54 »
So you would think I was happy right? Well kind of, I had already fitted an old minidisc headunit I had in the shed along with some new 6x9's and a 900w amp and 12" kenwood sub I picked up off my Bro for £20. So it looked cool and it had tunes, what more could a man want? Well not much until I decided to go to Stonor and be on (And sort out) the GolfGti.co.uk club stand. After seeing all the glitzy things on offer it was no good I HAD to buy something so the crystal crosshair headlamps it was. I think you'll agree they look good and they'll be accompanied by matching fogs soon when funds allow.

Happy yet? Nope! Having got the new lights on the front I realised that the back ones no longer washed and I wanted some M3 style ones. Low and behold Ebay once again proved the answer and a bargain was had!

So that's where we are right now. So far I still haven't cracked £1K on it which isn't too shabby seeing as it's supposed to be my "sensible" car. Up and coming mods are german style plates from www.germanplates.com, the crosshair fogs and some crystal inidicators for the front bumper. It also needs some attention as it's making a funny knocking noise from the steering on full right lock, it needs two new front tires, the front valance replacing and painting and a front engine mount. Once all that is complete it's time to consider that VR6 lump sat in the shed collecting dust.

Right I must be off as I can hear the mini crying from neglect and she needs comforting.

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2005, 14:46 »
Well the old girl is in need of some TLC.

1) I have a nasty knocking sound coming from the front left hand side on full lock so I think I need a new CV joint.

2) The steering rack is feeling a bit iffy.

3) Engine mounts are well and truly shot.

4) Could really do with 2 new front tires.

5) Crack in windscreen is growing by the day.

5) Heavey rain resulted in a puddle in the footwell.

It's all good tho cause Lewy has kindly offered to have a nosey round her next week and help me out fix some of the little bits. Payday is coming up so expect a few more (cheap) mods in the next coupleof weeks.

Horney

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2005, 11:36 »
Well I've beenbusy working on the missus mini and have been neglecting the golf abit but I have done a few bits.

Firstly Lewy helped me with my knocking noise which turned out to be loose inserts in the front struts due to me not retightening them after running in the new suspension. School boy error!

Steering rack seems to be a bit worn, but should last a while longer.

Tires? Might get some this month if funds allow, but they're not too bad.

Windscreen seems to have slowed it's cracking so I'll leave that for a bit too.

THe puddle in the footwell is sorted. Turns out it was coming in through the gromet I drilled out for my amp power cable. Bitof silicon sealant has sorted this.

I've also boght some crosshair inner lamps but they came without the platic clips to secure them to the grill and mine are well knackered. Ordered some from VW and surprise surprise when I went to collect em they were the wrong ones. Have now ordered the right ones and I can pick em up on thursday. I'll post pics wjhen the lamps are fitted!

Nick

Engine mounts? Nah still ain't touched those, think that'll be next month.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2005, 14:57 »
Wahey go the lamps fitted after having to order bits from VW. Check em out!

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2006, 22:27 »
My o my it has been some time since I updated this!

Well since then things have taken a few turns. My self and the good lady have bought our first property and I then promptly got made redundant. Which Sucked. In between moving and being made redundant I bought a Fiat Seicento SPorting to do my 60 mile comute as the golf was just too damn thirsty for my budget.

So one good thing about being made redundant was that I could get back n the Golf! Well that was the idea. Having left the old girl at my parents  for the best part of 6 months with "Start her up and move her occasionally" instructions I expected all to be well. My arse was it. Battery was dead and petrol had gone off. A new battery and freah tank of gas and things were........................ well terrible. I had forgotten how knackered the clutch was and that I had stripped most of the interior and then broken said interior while trying to fix a blown a heater matrix. It was hard to drive and it smelt rank!

I ummed and aaah for the second time in 6 months about just stripping it for parts and scrapping the shell but (Non) common sense took over and she was deposited at my local garage for a new clutch and clutch cable. a week later and £230 lighter I drove out of the garage with a slightly better car straight into a pothole and destroyed a 6 month old tyre and one of my alloys.

Never fear however as (Non) commonsense rules and I have just blown £150 on a second hand set of 15" Cups with erm knackered tyres. So I'm now trying to get some part worns as all this work is starting to add up when I'm unemployed with a wedding in 9 weeks and a mortgage to pay. Anyhoo the alloys look wicked and I love so what the hell.

I have also now fixed the heater matrix, put most of the interior back in and bolted on a replacement used front valance as mine was bent so it's not looking too shabby now. The Fiat is up on eBay which is also good.

No pics at the moment due to losing my camera cable but hopefully I'll get some up soon.

When I get a proper job again then work will continue to making this a nice looking fun driving daily hack.

Nick

(Oh yeah I might start bunging in progress on the honeymoon camper build in here too!)