Author Topic: In Australia and need some advice on Mk2 with G60 engine  (Read 2081 times)

Offline paulb89

• Just got here
Hi Everyone

I've been in Australia for 2 years now and own an R32 in the UK still, ever since I've got here I've wanted a golf and mk2s are as rare as hens teeth over here and bloody expensive when found.

Anyways I've found an advert for one over here and it's caught my attention, now I'm a mechanic by trade but i have no idea about the mk2s in depth or what I'm letting myself in for.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/berwick/cars-vans-utes/1988-volkswagen-golf-hatchback/1130395444

So i'm guessing its a standard mk2 got which has had a G60 lump dropped into it at some point?

i have spoken to the guy and he reckons the water pump has gone because it is overheating, I will take that with a pinch of salt.

I'm in Perth and the car is in Melbourne so its a good 3000km away

He wants $5500 for it, of course i would beat him down but what sort of price would this car bring in the UK Sterling? $5500 is around the £2500 mark, is it worth that if it was back home?

I don't mind a project as i'll happily rebuild the engine and suspension etc.

Is there any advice you guys can give me and if its worth looking at? Are G60 conversions worth the hassle or are they rare?

I always wanted a bog standard mk2 got but as i said seeing as it has the G60 engine it just caught my eye.

Appreciate your time

Paul

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: In Australia and need some advice on Mk2 with G60 engine
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2016, 13:00 »
My mate had a g60 in his mk2. Went well.
We had to put an intercooler on it because it didnt have one fitted.

If its water pump there fairly easy to do. If its got a g60 rad in it the top hose fitting are rare to find but can always be swapped out if it brakes.

2500 seems id say about right for a mk2 g60 conversion. Id not pay that but i dont like to pay lots of money.

If the rust in the usual spots is surface not too bad.
Look at filler neck, front wiper blank
Under the arch covers if you can.
Also be aware that behind the front wings near the drain holes rot and also rear strut towers can.

If its got big plastic bumpers fitted instead of the small ones try to look underneath as there could be a reason there trying to hide something...

Id look at it but if its too far gone (shouldnt be out in oz) and they wont drop down to a price your happy paying walk away

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2016, 13:15 »
100% engine swap - not original. Most likely a Corrado G60 engine.

Some confusion over the years - says 1988 in the title then 1990 in the lower spec.

The 'One in 10 million' folder at the end, if that matches the car, then it's a 1988 special edition - not overly 'special' exactly but nice none the less.

Assuming 1988, it's had the later bumpers and side mouldings added.

From the photos, the condition looks great - buy heh, looks can be deceiving!

It has an electric Recaro interior.

If that car was 2.5k in the UK, the phone wouldn't stop ringing and it would be gone in a day.

Just the interior would sell for approx 1k.

So, it's a 3dr Oak Green GTI with G60 conversion and electric Recaro. Mk2 prices are all over the place but I would say an absolute minimum of 4k if that was over here.

G60's need a bit of care but it's a bit of VW history.

I would buy that for 2.5k in a flash :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2016, 17:46 »
Now the pictures have loaded i can see theres no intercooler and would use that to my advantage buying it.
And definately not original as jv says. Confirmed by the fact its not got a intercooler in it.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2016, 00:03 »
there is probably not a speck of rust to worry about with it being over there, but with it overheating. well that could be more than meets the eye going on there.