Author Topic: mk2gti 8v high revs after restart  (Read 1817 times)

Offline popout

• Just got here
mk2gti 8v high revs after restart
« on: 14 November 2016, 14:46 »
If this has been asked before sorry, done lots of searching on here and other places but cant find the answer. '87 8v digifant, if I turn off ignition after a run then restart it, it revs to 2000 rpm then slowly drops. Ive looked for vacuum leaks, found a couple but still the same after repair. changed temp sender as read somewhere it could be that but still the same.
Anyone can tell me the problem or links to solutions  would be much appreciated
Cheers Tim

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: mk2gti 8v high revs after restart
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2016, 22:18 »
Is that on kjet? Or electronic injection

Offline popout

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2016, 09:10 »
Not K jet

Offline oakgreener

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2016, 13:04 »
I've had this problem for years and tried everything to sort it. Never really solved it. In the end I reduced the tick over from about 850rpm to barely 800 and it has improved it a fair bit. It will rev up to about 1200 on occasions, usually at traffic lights and the like. I just let the clutch pedal up a bit and the revs drop back to 800.
Sorry cant offer any more than that. If you sort it, I'd be interested to to know how.

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2016, 22:47 »
lol, same issue here, and funnily enough I too lift the clutch slightly to drop the revs back down. Can be annoying at times, like when your at the traffic lights and the car next to you thinks your revving the engine like you want to race them!!
    Maybe coincidental but mine also is an '87 8v GTi???

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2016, 09:19 »
Is the throttle body sticking slightly or airleak in inlet track from airbox. Normally after maf

Offline popout

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2016, 11:40 »
Don't think there is any airleaks, but will check again. Throttle not sticking all free movement.

Offline popout

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2016, 11:42 »
Also now, when engine is warm idle is around 1200rpm and rises slowly. Normally just under 1000rpm and steady

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2016, 22:59 »
I had an issue like this recently. every time I re-set the idle, the issue would return after a week. turned out to be the idle screw that was vibrating and adjusting itself in. re-set it again and stuck a small blob of silicone on the screw and it's been fine for a few weeks now :wink: