Author Topic: Car stutters/loses power when you floor the accelerator (Video added)  (Read 4210 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Car stutters/loses power when you floor the accelerator
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2016, 18:31 »
Warm up feed from the exhaust like they have standard til they rot out

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
Re: Car stutters/loses power when you floor the accelerator
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2016, 19:13 »
Hey,

I've recently just replaced that hot air intake pipe and the hot air is flowing through okay.

Here's a video I took tonight of the issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVTgKr7bkoE&feature=youtu.be

Sorry about the video, no idea why it rotated the wrong way... But that's a prime example of what i'm dealing with.

This video shows me pushing the accelerator pedal down half way and keeping it there. There's a huge change in RPM and my foot is steady.

The second half shows me doing the same thing, but this time the car stalls?!?

Thanks,

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
The cars warm obvously. Is it more when its warm then??
I had this on mine but as it was mk3 engine it tuened out to be throttle position sensor.

Have you checked for air leaks around the carb mount? Thatll do some crazy things to the air/fuel ratio and make it rev up and such

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
You can force the issue quite easily, simply by pushing the accelerator pedal down full when cruising in 5th.. Theres an initial delay in response for the first inch or so, then it really just flattens out and lacks a huge amount of power.

It happened on my way home from work but not on the way there, however I could massively feel the restriction on the way to work so didn't push it past 60.

I did a lot of checks in searching for any vacuum leaks, changed a few of the pipes yesterday but found nothing.

I haven't looked into the throttle position sensor however.. Also, I've heard there's a sensor in the air intake system that can become dirty and effect the performance, so i'll have to check that out over the weekend.

Something was mentioned on a YouTube video which read - "I had this problem, the car was thinking too much air was entering the engine and so it was supplying more fuel. A hole in the exhaust near the O2 sensor can do the same thing."

I recently replaced the the exhaust system (3 new silencers) so maybe some damage occurred?

Thanks,

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Shouldnt have a lamda or a throttle position sensor.
But that sensor in the carb is something to go off.
Also if its when your demanding more from the engine. Ie 5th gear acceleration try unplugging the vaccuum advance of the distributor and going again.

Also show a picture of your engine. Just incase your running something different in there than i think is in there

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
I'm free from tomorrow so I'll be able to check up on the car then.. as of pictures of the engine bay..

take a screenshot

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Is that a webber???
Definately the carbed engine though.

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
It is yeah, fitted it in May when the old Pierburg carb completely packed in after the automatic choke locked on. Lots of smoke!

It's been absolutely solid, which is why I can't see that being the issue.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Take the jets out and blow them out. Might have some shot in the float blocking a jet.
Didnt realise there was a webber fitted.
I use to have to clean mine out once in a while.

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
Bought some carburettor cleaner today and removed the carb completely. Cleaned it down pretty well, although everything is working on there as it should.

I've also bought myself a new fuel filter and fuel line which i'll fit tomorrow.

I noticed that on the rear of the engine block, it it literally drenched in oil. Not sure if there's anything down there that may have been effected by the oil, but it needs a good clean for sure!

The sensor inside the air intake has been checked and cleaner too.

I haven't put the car back together so won't be able to go for a drive until tomorrow.

Is there an o2 sensor in the exhaust for Mk2's with a carb?

Thanks