Author Topic: ABF lumpy, VW mechanic stumped!  (Read 23023 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: ABF lumpy, VW mechanic stumped!
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2013, 22:33 »
As above was going to say check crank sensor.. if its failed be careful as i bought one from euro's and it had the wrong plug fitted..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2013, 17:57 »
jesus that seems as bad as me! Problem- fuel rail, resolved- new engine!

Offline GOLF-MK3-GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2013, 19:02 »
Have you check the vacuum hose that goes into the ECU?, there a common problem on the MK3 ABF setup. Like you have said, engine was taken from a MK3. Check that

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2013, 07:53 »
Yeah that damn thing. I found out the cutout wasn't quite big enough for the vac hose so the bonnet crushed it making it run bad. Weirdly it didn't do it all the time.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2013, 11:33 »
Obviously all vac lines were replaced when engine was fitted; I think they have all been looked at, but will check. Thanks for all the suggestions, not sure if the new ecu temp sensor has arrived yet.

Offline Classic16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 06 March 2013, 14:46 »
Thanks for the input so far guys. A new coolant temp sensor arrived today, but unfortunately hasn't fixed it.  I had my fingers crossed and everything, and for a short time (minute or so) it seemed to run smoother, but I took it out on a test run and it showed the same symptoms again.  It seems like it becomes more unstable when it's warmed up a bit too. i had a couple of runs of normal acceleration, but for the most part it was the same, lacking power in the lower rev ranges when my foot was to the floor, and only picking up later on.  One new thing today, which I hadn't noticed before, was that when I held it at 1250 revs (in neutral) it was fluctuating up and down about 100 revs either side. I didn't test this last time, but at this point it wasn't misfiring (during the minute or so of it running smooth today).

The crank sensor is another thing we had thought about, and were hoping it would have showed up on the diagnostics, but nothing did.  The mechanic didn't use Vagcom though, so I don't know how reliably the system he has performs on older engines. I'll have a look at the vac lines, but I'm pretty sure they were checked.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2013, 16:24 »
Get a spare known working ECU, ISV even a hall sender swap each out for testing then come back  :wink:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2013, 20:18 »
Wires down the back of the inlet manifold?

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2013, 21:16 »
Get a spare known working ECU, ISV even a hall sender swap each out for testing then come back  :wink:

Dizzy has already been swapped out for another, no change.

Wires down the back of the inlet manifold?

These were repaired and re-wrapped when engine fitted, but being checked tomorrow.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #19 on: 06 March 2013, 22:02 »
Ecu relay? Checked resistance of plug leads?

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose