Author Topic: Polo gti small oil leak  (Read 1387 times)

Offline David1974

• Just got here
Polo gti small oil leak
« on: 04 May 2023, 18:32 »
Hi guys this my first post I’m looking at buying a polo gti which is in fantastic condition from a local lad however it has one small problem that I’m a little concerned about that the seller has disclosed and I I did take a look and there is hardly anything and the engine is preety clean . Apparently it’s a common issue on this model but looking for some advise on this and if it’s ok I should steer clear and find another elsewhere

The issue is

Oil leak, but not excessive suspect offside driveshaft oil seal in gearbox (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Is this a major problem and expensive fix . Mechanic who looked at it said it’s hardly worth worrying about but I would like a second opinion

Thanks in advance

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Polo gti small oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2023, 19:01 »
Manual gearbox??

This has been noted on the last MOT, in which case it could be the tester covering his back.

Not a major problem unless it's really leaking out and leaving a big patch of oil on the floor.

Anyway, it's not a massive job to do, unbolt driveshaft from flange, remove driveshaft flange and replace driveshaft seal.

If its as good as you say, knock £100 off and get it sorted.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline David1974

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2023, 15:11 »
It’s a 7 speed dsg auto . There is just a misting of oil so I’m in two minds about buying the car . What would this cost me to put right at an independent garage ? Don’t want to buy a car I have to spend a small fortune on putting right .

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2023, 09:35 »
I would weigh up whether the car is worth potentially spending a couple of hundred quid on getting the seal sorted??

If its as nice as you say I would go for it, you may not find a better one condition wise in the colour you like with the spec.

Tell him you'll buy it providing he sorts it beforehand if your that concerned??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.