Author Topic: Big ends!!! It's just not my year!!!  (Read 1825 times)

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Big ends!!! It's just not my year!!!
« on: 16 September 2003, 10:04 »
Hi all
Having had a new camchain, tappets and timing belt not long ago AND the ongoing nightmare of my poor cold running my 16V decided to throw another load of trouble my way last night! I was on my way home from work and opened her up once once I reached the first nice bit of open road only to be greeted by a horrible growl once 4000rpm arrived.
To me it sounds like the clattering, growling knocking sort of sound that a big end makes when it's on it's way out. The noise can be heard either when revving the engine hard or when cruising (say at 3000rpm) at a medium throttle position. The engine's only covered 120K so I must say I'm a little suprised. Has anybody had to have their big ends replaced recently? If so what sort of ball park figure should I be preparing myself for?

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

golfvr6

Re:Big ends!!! It's just not my year!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2003, 10:11 »
Depends how well the engine has been looked after. I would ditch the kr block and get a 2 Litre 9A block.

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2003, 10:42 »
The engine has been well maintained, service history bang up to date, no smoke, good compression. A 2L lump would be nice but I don't think my wallet would stretch to that. I already started looking through my golf mag last night at engine prices (as you do when your car has pissed you off and you're fearing the worst), there are a couple of companies listed in there offering fully reconditioned 1.8 16V lumps for ?1275 inc VAT fitted and ready to drive away. If the worst is true and I'm gonna have a big repair bill for my lump I'll probably consider that.

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2003, 12:49 »
Try Expert Technik in Berkshire. Thety can fit a 2ltr bottom end pretty cheap and they are very reliable....

golfvr6

« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2003, 12:51 »
Are you sure it is the big ends? when they go they will knock quite loud!

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2003, 14:31 »
Just been to the garage at lunchtime and they have confirmed my suspicion. They had a listen with their stephoscope and have told me the big ends on 1 & 2 are the source of the noise. With the shells at ?50 + vat and the job coming in at about 4hrs I think I'm inclined to let them have a go and hope like hell that the crank doesn't need regrinding. If it does them I may have to consider the replacement engine route.  :-\

golfvr6

« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2003, 16:19 »
The problem is by time they have taken the engine out to replace the big ends, if the crank needs doing which it probably will then it will be a bit late to change your mind!

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2003, 17:02 »
The job is done in situ just by dropping the sump off the engine, removing the bottoms off the con rods and pushing the pistons up out the way. If the crank is buggered I imagine they could bung the knackered shells back in, refit the sump and I'll only incur the cost of a few hours labour to know I've got to spend loads of money. Trouble is I spent ?500 on the top end last month getting it all sweet so it would really hurt to throw it away.
Cheers for the info VWnut, do expert technik use your existing top end etc etc? Did a quick search for them earlier but didn't find anything, what do you class as cheap?

golfvr6

« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2003, 17:09 »
Well not really no. You can fit new main and big end bearing shells with the engine in situ, but since precise clearances need to be measured , it would be a lot better in the long run to remove the engine completely. I would look around for deals on 2 Litre blocks. Good luck  ;)

golfvr6

« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2003, 17:25 »
And you should get all the bearings done, big ends and mains, reground crank, new piston rings. The bottom end should be completely rebuilt or it will only cause you loads of hassle in the near future.