Author Topic: REPLACEMENT tyres for Golf gti 7.5  (Read 4184 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: REPLACEMENT tyres for Golf gti 7.5
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2018, 13:48 »
I'd not bin the BS's immediately (in fact I didn't on my current GTD) but certainly look forward to when you can swap them after they wear out. I put PS4's on after my front OEM BS's were worn but put them on the back. In a little while the BS front's will be gone and I'll be PS4 all round.

That will be nice, but in the meantime, yeah whatever. If I was tracking my car (hmmm maybe not a GTD but you get the idea) perhaps then I'd think about a quick swap out but otherwise, its not as good as it could be but equally they aren't ditch finders.

Mind you, some of you seem to spend loads of money on your cars and if you do, then certainly you'll want to just straight out swap.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2018, 02:23 »
So Fred (and others), how long did your Bridgestones last? I have 12k on my GTD and they are still almost 6mm...
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2018, 05:03 »
Fronts on mine lasted somewhere around 15k. However, rears are still at 5mm at 22.5k, so they're a hardy bugger when not worked too hard.

Depending on how many miles you do and whether a little movement might be the order of the day, PS4 or MPSS (if more committed and weather less of a concern) at the front and the Bridgestones, until they die, might be the order of the day. Doing ok for me at the moment, but will admit I would put Michelin on the rear as well when they die.

One thing I don't like about the PS4's is that they do feel a little sqiudgey at times and I'm never quite 100% sure, even though they will work. That may just be me though, as I prefer 98 or 99% a or b to that bit of doubt before firming up to be something.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2018, 07:45 »
So Fred (and others), how long did your Bridgestones last? I have 12k on my GTD and they are still almost 6mm...

About 15k on the front.

On my last GTD the rears lasted ~65k before getting binned because they had saw toothed and drove me mad. Hence why I have put the new tyres on the rear - hopefully the last rears I'll put on this one now.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2018, 23:14 »
The Bridgestones last so long that if you only keep a car 3 years and do average miles, you'll be doing most of those miles on the Bridgestones. They are a handicap on the car, i'd get them off ASAP, stick them in the loft or the garage for if you go to sell the car or p/x itwhen a new set of rubber would be required.

Coming up to 25650 miles and I swapped the Bridgestones for Michelin PSS at around 6000 miles. Just had year 3 service and MOT - PSS still at 5.5mm on the fronts and 4mm on the rears according to the VW dealership advisory report (how the rears are wearing faster than the fronts, and with no abnormal wear is a mystery to me, as the R is heavily front biased, and the front wheels are steering.

Not sure whether they got their numbers the wrong way round as I seem to have self healing brake discs (warranty work in Jan, 80% worn rear discs; Service at the end of May and I have 70% worn rear discs and a suggestion to spend £268 to replace them).

When the rear discs get replaced I won't be going OEM - those rusty hubs look sh!te, as do the very rusty disc shrouds. On an R at least, the PSS wear well, front and back - did not expect to likely get 30k miles out of a set of tyres on a 300ps car before they're down to 2.5mm

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.