Author Topic: Induction kit  (Read 1463 times)

Offline -scott-

• Not said much yet
Induction kit
« on: 27 April 2007, 18:30 »
Hey,
 iv got a 1.8 driver golf and it has an induction kit from when i bought it.The thing is though that they have only take the top half of the air box off and put the cone filter onto the air pipe.
The old bottom half of the box is still on the bottom and i was wondering can i remove it? The only thing i noticed is that there is another pipe going into the bottom of the box from lower down the engine,What is this for?? If i take the lower part of the air box off where do i put this 2nd pipe?
 Any help appreciated
  Scott
Mrk 3 Golf VR6 Colour Concept

Offline Therusterman

• GTI forum regular
Re: Induction kit
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2007, 19:33 »
Well, a good start would be to take off the cone filter and put the air box back together. With the ABS engine an induction kit/cone filter makes dick all difference, you just get  the induction noise, and it suck's in warm air.

I'd recommend getting a high flow panel filter, and possibly drilling the side of the air box closest to the wing if you want a bit of an induction sound

Offline -scott-

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2007, 21:58 »
the cone filter is staying but i just want to know what the second pipe is for on the bottom half??? what does it do and should it have some sort of filter over it etc if the bottom of the box is to be removed?
scott.

Offline bulk66

• I live here
  • Im broke an it aint a joke!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2007, 15:54 »
Dont worry about it mate it wont be doing much if you have a filter fitted. You should be able to just remove the bottom half of the air box no problem, just make sure the filter is secure and it cant fall on to any moving parts.... :smiley:

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2007, 12:05 »
can you take a photo of this??

sounds to me like they have used the airbox as a kinda heat sheild and that the piping you are refering to is actually the cold air feed into the airbox
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline -scott-

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2007, 17:08 »
yeh sure no bother man ill go get a pic and post it up to let you see.Im looking to take the whole lower part out and make a braket to let the induction kit sit where it is.Its the pipe at the back in the lower section i want to know what its for.
 Scott.

Offline -scott-

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2007, 17:24 »
Here you go:

Scott.

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2007, 01:35 »
That pipe connected to the bottom of the air box is the warm air feed....looks to me like the box is just supporting the filter, remove the bottom half of the box and get a bracket to support the cone. As for the warm air feed...dont worry about it, when you have removed the box just use a cable tie to secure it in place.

Make sure you then run a cold air feed to your cone to help it breath better.

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2007, 07:30 »
As said that just runs from your exhaust manifold back to ya airbox to aid starting in cold weather i believe..

if your gonna make up a bracket to support it mate see if you can make a bit of a heat shield to protect it from the engines heat
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D