Author Topic: Hi all was wondering what wheels to go for?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline .Aklaim^

• Just got here
Hi all was wondering what wheels to go for?
« on: 22 April 2011, 12:21 »
Hi everyone I have just purchased my first golf its a mk3 8V GTi I have just posted some pics of it on the new members page. I am going to be lowering it and getting some wheels and wondered what the best wheel size and offset is to fit onto her and look good :) also what is the best coilovers or springs to use for lowering it? please post pics of your car with examples if you could as it would really help me get a decent idea of which weels and wheel sizes look best :)
Thanks
Dan

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
Re: Hi all was wondering what wheels to go for?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2011, 12:46 »
How much money you got?
Check my sig. They're 3 piece moderline Schmidt's. rear 9" wide et21, front 8" wide et20 195/45/16 all round. dropped 80mm ish lol (didn't measure) on coilovers.
Hottuning do coilovers for £160 on ebay.

I really like corvette wheels atm

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline .Aklaim^

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2011, 12:52 »
They look cool mate suit the car really nicely. Im definatly going to go for some deep dish wheels as they look best in my opinion. How much did your wheels set you back if you dont mind me asking? not really sure of how much to spend on them at the mo could spend what ever really but dont want to go overboard as the car didnt cost me to much so dont want to spend more than the car on wheel if I can help it. do the 9" wheels on the back rub at all?

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2011, 12:59 »
Well with the gold bolts and gold centers they cost, er.... 2G  :embarassed: but I always wanted them.

Yeah they rub you have to roll your arch the pull a little. I also got some camber shims on the back so they fit better.

You can get lenso bsx wheels that are bbs rs reps and cost about £550 for 7.5 front 9 rear.

A lot of people like porsche wheels. check D90's and 928's on ebay. you will need adaptors to make them fit, but it's quite common so can easily find a set.

Best bet is buy a performance VW mag and look in there for ideas. so many nice wheels!!!

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline .Aklaim^

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2011, 13:56 »
Ha cool cheers for the info I will have to buy a copy and check some pics out. 2K is hell of alot to spend on a set of wheels lol thats more than I paid for the car itself. Still like you say if you had always wanted a pair then why not ay :). I have looked at some of those porsch D90's before they are quite nice there was a set going on ebay for £280 last week just needed painting on the backs but I used to spray cars so that wouldnt be to hard :) how much are the adaptors usually? is that just because of a different amount of wheel studs compare to te golf i assume? I will check out those wheels you said about just not sure on going for 9" on the back if its going to rub lots but bet it ooks sooo sweet :)

Offline .Aklaim^

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2011, 14:00 »
Oh also are those coilovers any good for that price seem a bit cheap?

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2011, 14:06 »
they good enough. bouncy ride though :D

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2011, 14:53 »
Adaptors to fit D90's will be fairly costly and you'll need arch work to make 9's fit.

With regards to lowering what kind of drop are you after? If you don't want it slammed then i'd look at a decent spring/shock setup over coilovers. If you want it on the deck then you've got 2 coilover options;

1. Cheap coilovers - pretty harsh ride and very bouncy
2. Expensive coilovers - much better but around 3 times the price of cheap ones, your really looking at around £500 for decent ones.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2011, 15:14 »
If your not looking for a really low drop then use a good quality spring and shock kit.

Offline stainesy

• I live here
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2011, 17:39 »
I have 15 inch 7j wheels with offset of et20 and they give a perfect stance as in my sig pic bellow