Author Topic: 8v to valver  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: 8v to valver
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2010, 13:07 »
The reason?
Because the 8v 020 box is not as strong as the 02A, so it will eventually eat itself.
You don't need to change the pedal box either. All you need is the clutch cylinder and the pedal clip. All golfs have the same bodywork, just models that didn't need a part being put there had blanks, like the 16v and vr6 had hydro clutch and none other did. So all you need to do is remove the blank, which is 2 screws and fit 16v stuff.
You need loom and ecu as your mate said.

Also easier to fit engine and box in 1 rather than split them. Saves time and money.

You need to fit 16v gear cables, which involves dropping gearstick through exhaust tunnel and replacing the whole unit.

Exhaust on 16v is bigger too, so I'd put that on.

Best thing is to have the whole 16v car nearby as you need to get lots of things from it. Like accelerator cable, radiator, driveshafts. You might also want the 16v brakes, there bigger and thicker.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: 8v to valver
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2010, 11:30 »
Your problem lies with the fact that the 16v clutch is hydraulic whereas the 8v is cable. You'd either have to use a 16v box as well or use a conversion piece to convert the 16v hydraulic clutch to be compatible with the 8v cable gearbox. But as it says above they are about as good as a chocolate fire guard.

Hope that clears it up for you  :smiley:

not quite, you have 2 choices. fit 16v box and convert to hydro, which is dead easy on a mk3, only have to fit a clutch master cylinder and pipe to your existing pedal box. pop out the blanking hole, remove cable, fit hydro cylinder, done.  still have to swap on the cable gear shifter mech though, which neans front suilencer will probably need removing, though not that hard once engine out really.

other option is to refit the old gearbox with a new clutch, dont need to touch anything then. 020 box capable of dealing with abf power as long as you dont go mad with the engine mods, and dont slam thru gears and do lots of wheelspinning in 1st
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.