Author Topic: 8v to valver  (Read 2285 times)

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
  • The golf is dead :(
8v to valver
« on: 20 November 2010, 17:31 »
hey all

quick question ....

ive been offered a valver engine and considering dropping it into my 8v (love the bodywork ya see)

anyway, ive had conflicting opinions about what i need to do

the chap im looking at buying it from reckons i only need the engine, ecu and loom

others have said i need a hydraulic clutch and different box ......

has anyone just dropped a 16v str8 into an 8v? if so how did it go??

i will do a search on here too, but any opinions would be grand

ta
Staceman ' i struggle not to w**k over that jetta sometimes '

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v 96 Storm Grey - Dead

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
Re: 8v to valver
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2010, 17:36 »
You will need the clutch and box! The block will swap straight over.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=124485.0

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2010, 17:37 »

do i def need the clutch and box? whats the reasoning behind this?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2010, 17:46 »

Did you not even bother to look at the link??  :huh:

If you did you would quite clearly see this near the top of the page, I know this is predominantly to do with engine changes but it still contains the info you need:

2. Clutches. Now the 8v comes with a cable clutch, the 16v and Vr6 comes with a hydrolyic clutch. There is such a thing as a cable to hydro conversion peice, although i have been informed they are less than crap! So obviously 16v to Vr6/ 16v+vr6 to 1.8t involves no clutch change, but 8v to 16v/vr6/1/8t would involve swapping the pedal box and fitting a hydro clutch into the car.

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2010, 18:31 »

If you did you would quite clearly see this near the top of the page, I know this is predominantly to do with engine changes but it still contains the info you need:

2. Clutches. Now the 8v comes with a cable clutch, the 16v and Vr6 comes with a hydrolyic clutch. There is such a thing as a cable to hydro conversion peice, although i have been informed they are less than crap! So obviously 16v to Vr6/ 16v+vr6 to 1.8t involves no clutch change, but 8v to 16v/vr6/1/8t would involve swapping the pedal box and fitting a hydro clutch into the car.

funnily enough dom i can read yeah

but that very clever quote you posted just said you need to swap it, not why.

i know what it says about the gear ratios etc, but ive been told by the bloke offering it to me, who rallys golfs, and is a mechanic that its not a necessity ...... thats what im asking after ....

what with the attitude huh? its just a question

Offline Beenie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2010, 18:44 »
I dunno how that was meant to come across but it didn't come across very nice nor very helpful, I was always taught if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all, the guy was only asking a simple question no need to bit his head off.

I too have been looking into this, I think ideally you should use the 16v gearbox, but the complication is that it's a hydrolic clutch, where as the 8v is cable, I believe the seat ibiza gti 16v gearbox can be used as its cable operated. BUT i believe the gear linkage is cable rather than rod.

So my plan was to keep the 8v gearbox and bolt a 8v clutch and flywheel to the 16v engine, then by rights all you need is the engine, loom, ecu and transponder key, i dunno if you need the clocks or not.

hope this helps :)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2010, 19:09 »

funnily enough dom i can read yeah

but that very clever quote you posted just said you need to swap it, not why.

i know what it says about the gear ratios etc, but ive been told by the bloke offering it to me, who rallys golfs, and is a mechanic that its not a necessity ...... thats what im asking after ....

what with the attitude huh? its just a question

Your problem lies with the fact that the 16v clutch is hydraulic whereas the 8v is cable. You'd either have to use a 16v box as well or use a conversion piece to convert the 16v hydraulic clutch to be compatible with the 8v cable gearbox. But as it says above they are about as good as a chocolate fire guard.

Hope that clears it up for you  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2010, 00:02 »
Check your insurance as a 1st step.  :smiley:

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2010, 11:41 »
I dunno how that was meant to come across but it didn't come across very nice nor very helpful, I was always taught if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all, the guy was only asking a simple question no need to bit his head off.

I too have been looking into this, I think ideally you should use the 16v gearbox, but the complication is that it's a hydrolic clutch, where as the 8v is cable, I believe the seat ibiza gti 16v gearbox can be used as its cable operated. BUT i believe the gear linkage is cable rather than rod.

So my plan was to keep the 8v gearbox and bolt a 8v clutch and flywheel to the 16v engine, then by rights all you need is the engine, loom, ecu and transponder key, i dunno if you need the clocks or not.

hope this helps :)

yeh see thats what i was thinking of doing mate, im gnna need a new clutch eventually tho. seeing as my 8v one atm is on its way out .....

so im thinking, if im gnna end up changing the clutch anyway, that i might as well stick a 16v box and clutch in ,....... lol gtta think of money first tho

wayne - thats a good shout, cant see it being much more than the 8v tho??

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2010, 12:17 »
I don't think Dom was being rude, he was pointing out what was written.
The 16v box is a cable change box with a hydraulic operated clutch.
8v is a rod change box with a cable operated clutch.
If you want to mix and match, maybe you might be successful.
May well be easier just to swap the whole lot over.
Ask Khare, he had his converted this year.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS