Author Topic: linseed oil is the sex  (Read 3172 times)

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
Re: linseed oil is the sex
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2010, 11:55 »
Better off using Chemical Guys Trim Gel ... that stuff lasts forever literally! Unless it rains 5 days in a row in which case you'll get streaks but all you have to do is, rub hard at the trim with a microfibre cloth just to spread the gel thats marinated in the trim to cover the streaks.

Offline wrobstar21

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2010, 12:00 »
mmmm marinated, im hungry

Offline harlemex

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2010, 19:25 »
I use marmite on mine or failing that branston small chunk pickle  :drool:

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2010, 19:32 »
Dont forget if you leave it on a rag in the sun it can self combust!   Happened to my dad a few times as i recall (he used it for painting)

Dont stick it in ur boot  :grin:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Christo77

« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2010, 11:59 »
I've tried the linseed oil rout..it's not bad and lasts ok ish..but it does leave some streaky lines when it rains.
A guy in a carwash place used some silicon spray on mine a few days ago and again not a bad result for a quick effort.
I tried a hot air gun a while ago too and not even on the hotest setting would it make any real difference so i took one of those little DIY butane canister blow torches to it (with extreme caution) as an experiment and it did blacken up the really bad areas quite well, my front and rear bumbers were almost grey in places.
I managed to sweep the torch flame across the bad areas and only on the bumpers as it's a bit hit and miss with the obvious dangers in mind!  Be careful folks if you have a go!
Probably the only way to do a good lasting job is to get the black trim areas sprayed.

Offline mattyass

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2010, 12:04 »
Linseed oil works a treat!

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2010, 12:06 »
I've tried the linseed oil rout..it's not bad and lasts ok ish..but it does leave some streaky lines when it rains.
A guy in a carwash place used some silicon spray on mine a few days ago and again not a bad result for a quick effort.
I tried a hot air gun a while ago too and not even on the hotest setting would it make any real difference so i took one of those little DIY butane canister blow torches to it (with extreme caution) as an experiment and it did blacken up the really bad areas quite well, my front and rear bumbers were almost grey in places.
I managed to sweep the torch flame across the bad areas and only on the bumpers as it's a bit hit and miss with the obvious dangers in mind!  Be careful folks if you have a go!
Probably the only way to do a good lasting job is to get the black trim areas sprayed.

Or you can use a sponge and Chemical Guys trim gel like I said above ...

Christo77

« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2010, 12:23 »
yep..will try the Chemical Guys gel with the next go..

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2010, 12:36 »
Black shoe polish works as well.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

kells

« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2010, 13:14 »