Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 648918 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2840 on: 11 April 2016, 17:58 »
If that was mine I would be buying some brake cleaner, spray it all over there as it simply removes all the oil with no elbow grease needed  then check it again a week later to find exact location of the leaks.
Please keep me upto date on the cause when you find out. 

Seen quite a few leak from the rear main seal now :cry:
Bit of info for others.

http://shopdap.com/rear-main-seal-failure-on-vw-and-audi-2-0t-tsi-engines/

« Last Edit: 11 April 2016, 18:14 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2841 on: 11 April 2016, 18:38 »
Done the dipstick test for the PCV valve and idle does not change so bad PCV. This must be causing all the other leaks with excess crankcase pressure.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2842 on: 11 April 2016, 18:40 »
If that was mine I would be buying some brake cleaner, spray it all over there as it simply removes all the oil with no elbow grease needed  then check it again a week later to find exact location of the leaks.
Please keep me upto date on the cause when you find out. 

Seen quite a few leak from the rear main seal now :cry:
Bit of info for others.

http://shopdap.com/rear-main-seal-failure-on-vw-and-audi-2-0t-tsi-engines/

Thanks for the advice Snoop, I'm gonna get the PCV changed and then do this and find out how bad they are with the new valve installed and working properly.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2843 on: 12 April 2016, 12:13 »
Had the diverter valve out today and it all looked as new so that will stay in. I've got a 'G' revision diaphragm type, I'm aware there were problems with the diaphragms on the 'C' revision so a lot of people changed to the 'D' piston type. Not sure if there'd be any benefit going from a G to a D though.

Ordered a new PCV valve 06H 103 495 AD (£78.20) and breather pipe 06J 103 213 E (£22.40) which it's advised to change as well due to the likelihood of broken tabs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEciqR1ST8. Next day delivery so will be able to fit them tomorrow.

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2844 on: 12 April 2016, 13:20 »
Not today but Sunday morning. Caught the kerb.   :cry:

Can anyone recommend someone to have a look at it in the Cannock area?
I don't know whether or not it will need a full refurb, gutted.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2845 on: 12 April 2016, 18:42 »
Had the diverter valve out today and it all looked as new so that will stay in. I've got a 'G' revision diaphragm type, I'm aware there were problems with the diaphragms on the 'C' revision so a lot of people changed to the 'D' piston type. Not sure if there'd be any benefit going from a G to a D though.

Ordered a new PCV valve 06H 103 495 AD (£78.20) and breather pipe 06J 103 213 E (£22.40) which it's advised to change as well due to the likelihood of broken tabs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEciqR1ST8. Next day delivery so will be able to fit them tomorrow.
Thats cheaper than I thought they would be.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2846 on: 13 April 2016, 17:30 »
Picked up my new PCV valve and pipe this morning. Checking the parts over I noticed that the part no. on the valve had the 'AD' revision hand etched to the end of the part no. Is this normal practice? I'm guessing it's an earlier revision upgraded to an AD?

Fitted them both after lunch, nice and easy to change. Car is now unhappy to idle with the dipstick quickly pulled out while running, indicating new PCV valve is working. Leaks cleaned up and I'll monitor them over the rest of the week and weekend.

After checking the old valve out, I can't seem to find much wrong with it apart from one of the springs being stiff. Both diaphragms still intact. Engine does seem to idle slightly better now though.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2847 on: 13 April 2016, 19:19 »
Did you get it from a VW main dealer/TPS or by a third party?
ive seen numbers like thay before on parts.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2848 on: 13 April 2016, 21:20 »
VW main dealer, Lancaster Volkswagen in Letchworth

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2849 on: 24 April 2016, 20:58 »
Put her up for sale :cry:

Turned it back to stock so will have some goodies up for sale soon

LED Tail lights
Bluefin Superchips map
K&N panel filter