Author Topic: Dynaudio sub woofer - is it supposed to be loose.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline WatchThis

• Not said much yet
Dynaudio sub woofer - is it supposed to be loose.
« on: 29 January 2020, 14:35 »
Car went in for its service - I keep the paperwork in a folder under the boot floor, lifted the floor up and found the sub woofer loose. I’ve taken off the large plastic nut that clamps the spare in place, put the sub woofer back and secured the lot with the plastic nut.
Is this correct, and if so, would VW have removed it as part of the service?
As a side note, its got to go back as they’ve disconnected/damaged the front sensor when they replaced the fogged headlight....
Enjoying: Atlantic Blue 5 door GTI PP DSG Brescia's-Art Velours-Park-Camera-Voice-Excite-Airbags-Keyless-DCC-Traffic Jam-Climate Windscreen-Dynamic lights-Rear tints

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Dynaudio sub woofer - is it supposed to be loose.
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2020, 15:10 »
The dealer probably had to lift the Dynaudio sub out to check the tyre pressure of the space saver; assuming they checked the tyre pressures (which they should have!). Quite possible they didn’t fully tighten the plastic retaining nut when they put the sub back.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline WatchThis

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2020, 15:45 »
Thanks - the nut was only restraining the wheel and is now back in place - must have been a team effort!
Enjoying: Atlantic Blue 5 door GTI PP DSG Brescia's-Art Velours-Park-Camera-Voice-Excite-Airbags-Keyless-DCC-Traffic Jam-Climate Windscreen-Dynamic lights-Rear tints

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2020, 19:01 »
At least it was just the nut for the spare wheel, recently a tyre fitter failed to replace a nut on one of the wheels of our other car (Polo),  so was driving around with only 4 out of the 5 bolts for a few days!

Glad you are sorted!
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2020, 20:23 »
At least it was just the nut for the spare wheel, recently a tyre fitter failed to replace a nut on one of the wheels of our other car (Polo),  so was driving around with only 4 out of the 5 bolts for a few days!

Glad you are sorted!

Last time mine was in for servicing at VW the mech decided to only hand tighten all four locking wheel nuts. By the time I found time to wash the car I noticed that three of them were clinging on by a couple of threads and the fourth was missing in action.

Hopefully it found its way into a safe place and not lodged in someone's windscreen on the motorway! It cost me £30 to get a replacement set :angry:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2020, 21:21 »

Glad you are sorted!

Last time mine was in for servicing at VW the mech decided to only hand tighten all four locking wheel nuts. By the time I found time to wash the car I noticed that three of them were clinging on by a couple of threads and the fourth was missing in action.

Hopefully it found its way into a safe place and not lodged in someone's windscreen on the motorway! It cost me £30 to get a replacement set :angry:

You should tell us which VW dealer this was so people can avoid going there as that is pretty poor. Hope they reimbursed you for your new set?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2020, 22:06 »
You should tell us which VW dealer this was so people can avoid going there as that is pretty poor. Hope they reimbursed you for your new set?

It is pretty poor but I won't name and shame because it was one mistake by one person and that could happen at any garage, he probably hand tightened them with a view to nip them up but got distracted. Next time I will check all nuts before driving anywhere. At least they use an air gun on the rest of them!

I never got in touch because it has been over a month and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, I have no proof that it was them (even though it 100% was) and they would probably just deny any fault.

So now I have 3 locking wheel nuts and a key available if anyone needs any for their 3 wheeler :grin:

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2020, 23:03 »
Mine was an independent tyre place,  to their credit they rectified the situation as it was the locking wheel nut they lost, so they provided a new locking wheel nut set, although it was a non VW set, so now the locking nut on each wheel does not have the VW branded cover on it.

They also replaced one of the VW centre caps which went missing also, although that was on the car when I drove away, so clearly not fitted properly.

Sorry for drifting off topic here!
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI