Author Topic: intake flapper delete mod.  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
intake flapper delete mod.
« on: 05 June 2014, 18:16 »
I hear taking the intake flappers out, increase MPG.

Don't think many people have been doing this
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
Re: intake flapper delete mod.
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2014, 21:26 »
I think this will only apply to people who's engine has the EGR valve at the front not based at the rear with the EGR cooler assembly.
My Car-2016 Golf 1.0 TSI Match Edition BlueMotion 115PS,17inch Singapore Alloys,Tech Pack,Parking Pack,Rear Camera,Heated Steering Wheel,Winter Pack,90% Window Tints,Front & Rear Mud flaps,Headlight and Boot Protector
Dad-Golf MK7.5 R Estate Pearlescent Black,Reversing Camera
Mum- Golf MK7 GTI PP 5 Door-Manual,White,90% Tints,Rear Camera,Front and Rear Mudflapa,19 Inch Santiago Wheels

Audi Technician

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2014, 21:55 »
ahh I see, I have CBBB so my egr is at the front which is why I thought, ooo this might be a quick mod for a sunday afternoon.
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2014, 22:29 »
ahh I see, I have CBBB so my egr is at the front which is why I thought, ooo this might be a quick mod for a sunday afternoon.

Ye don't quote me but i think
CBBB Is egr at the front with cooler at the rear and oil cap too the left also with flaps on the intake
CFGB is egr at the rear with cooler and oil cap too the right with not flaps on the intake manifold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVFpYzMX3g
My Car-2016 Golf 1.0 TSI Match Edition BlueMotion 115PS,17inch Singapore Alloys,Tech Pack,Parking Pack,Rear Camera,Heated Steering Wheel,Winter Pack,90% Window Tints,Front & Rear Mud flaps,Headlight and Boot Protector
Mum- Golf MK7 GTI PP 5 Door-Manual,White,90% Tints,Rear Camera,Front and Rear Mudflapa,19 Inch Santiago Wheels

Audi Technician

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2014, 17:51 »
yeah, I'm pretty sure thats correct! I think I'm going to lay off, until I start modding the engine and removing EGR's and stuff, I will let darkside handle it, as they're already doing development and stuff, so they will know what's best!

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2014, 09:05 »
yeah, I'm pretty sure thats correct! I think I'm going to lay off, until I start modding the engine and removing EGR's and stuff, I will let darkside handle it, as they're already doing development and stuff, so they will know what's best!

Ye,and EGR delete should be easy on yours as it isn't part of the cooler,i can see it being possible anytime soon with the EGR/Cooler Package :(

Audi Technician

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2014, 19:20 »
I hear taking the intake flappers out, increase MPG.

Don't think many people have been doing this
If you are talking about the flap that I think you are, then read this thread for a good reason not to.
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/239220-19tdi-turbo-blown-runaway-and-the-aftermath/
I think it is called the ASV valve and personally I wouldn't mess with it if it was on my car.

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2014, 04:37 »
I also have a 1.9, with the EGR deleted, but I kept the ASV valve, alot of the EGR kits keep the asv valve so the car shuts off without jerking too much, I also think its very important when it comes to diesel run away.
One thing which confuses me, is that the newer CFGB engine doesn't have flaps to induce swirl of the air into the cylinder, and the vacuum on the egr system to suck cooled EGR into the cylinder as a result of the closed flap, I would have thought this system to be quite important for egr flow etc after watching audis demo video.
Unless the newer engines don't have the system because vw thought it was unnecessary or just cutting costs... who knows!

Offline ab17790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2014, 22:49 »
I also have a 1.9, with the EGR deleted, but I kept the ASV valve, alot of the EGR kits keep the asv valve so the car shuts off without jerking too much, I also think its very important when it comes to diesel run away.
One thing which confuses me, is that the newer CFGB engine doesn't have flaps to induce swirl of the air into the cylinder, and the vacuum on the egr system to suck cooled EGR into the cylinder as a result of the closed flap, I would have thought this system to be quite important for egr flow etc after watching audis demo video.
Unless the newer engines don't have the system because vw thought it was unnecessary or just cutting costs... who knows!
\

I think it might have something to do wight he Actual EGR motor being further away i.e. behind the engine,also the EGR pipe which is fed through the side of the head is very small so i think less EGR gases are fed into the manifold which could mean not Flaps needed as less gasses.

Audi Technician

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2014, 18:22 »
hmm, I'll do more research, I don't know how much of an impact EGR has on the functioning of the engine, really I don't want exhaust gasses in my cylinders but it helps it warm up I guess...