Author Topic: cleaning mitt what am I doing wrong?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline finlayjacobin

• Not said much yet
  • JUST TOOK AN IQ TEST, THE RESULTS WERE NEGATIVE!
cleaning mitt what am I doing wrong?
« on: 21 August 2008, 20:58 »
Hey guys I love ma mk5 golf and enjoy cleaning her, I recently bought a turtle wax wash mitt for about a tenner as I had read they were the thing to use rather than a sponge,
I have been using it with autoglym bodywork shampoo (green label stuff, if name is wrong), problem is I find however much shampoo I put in I seem to have zero bubbles or suds, also the mitt is so bloody heavy when full of water I sometimes return to a sponge!
am I missing something or have I bought the wrong thing?
many thanks
Fin

56 MK5 GTI TORNADO RED, LEATHER, XENONS, 18 MONZAS, 6 CD ARMREST, EDITION 30 REAR LIGHTS, PAINTED LOWER FRONT AND REAR VALENCE AND R32 SIDE SKIRTS, AUTHENTIC PRESSED GERMAN PLATES, WOLFSBURG PLATE SURROUNDS, INPRO SMOKED MIRROR INDICATORS, CRUISE CONTROL THANKS TO VRSTU

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: cleaning mitt what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2008, 21:04 »
IIRC Autoglym Shampoo doesn't create many bubbles  :undecided:

if anything bubbles aren't important - lubriciticy is the key - the easier the mitt glides across the paintwork the less chance you'll inflict swirls etc

don't go back to a sponge! squeeze the mitt from the inside to release the water
« Last Edit: 21 August 2008, 21:07 by Rhyso »

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2008, 21:05 »
yeh no bubbles from Autoglym wash

NewGolf

« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2008, 21:06 »

182 !
Where you been mate?

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2008, 21:11 »

182 !
Where you been mate?

im about  :wink:

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2008, 00:08 »
Autoglym shampoo is absolutely shockingly bad IMO. I bought some bilt hamber autowash (on Guy's reccomendation) and its far, far better. A good indication of the superior cleansers/lubricants is that it only takes one and a half buckets to wash all my car now, whereas previously it took two full buckets.

Offline finlayjacobin

• Not said much yet
  • JUST TOOK AN IQ TEST, THE RESULTS WERE NEGATIVE!
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2008, 21:42 »
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Fin

56 MK5 GTI TORNADO RED, LEATHER, XENONS, 18 MONZAS, 6 CD ARMREST, EDITION 30 REAR LIGHTS, PAINTED LOWER FRONT AND REAR VALENCE AND R32 SIDE SKIRTS, AUTHENTIC PRESSED GERMAN PLATES, WOLFSBURG PLATE SURROUNDS, INPRO SMOKED MIRROR INDICATORS, CRUISE CONTROL THANKS TO VRSTU

Offline MrTurner

• I live here
  • Facelift leon cupra
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2008, 13:17 »
I don't get a lot of bubbles with my shampoo either, but it's nothing to worry about.  Resist the temptation to make the mix up too strong, there is a possibility it'll make the car look a bit marred.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2008, 18:17 »
bilt hamber ftw

NewGolf

« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2008, 19:16 »
Not tried the Bilt Hamber, but its getting a lot of good press on Detailing World.  :smiley:

I'm using Meguiars Hyper Wash at the moment, its bubbilishous! Smells great, cleans well and is good value in a US gallon tub.  :wink:

So far I have tried AG, Snow Foam, Megs Gold Class and Megs NXT wash, Zymol Cleanse and Sonus Shampoo. Hyperwash is my fave, here if you want to look it up

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/meguiars-hyper-wash/prod_326.html

HTH.  :smiley: