Author Topic: Help - What do I need to do mint up my Golf.  (Read 3687 times)

Offline DamoGTI

• Not said much yet
Help - What do I need to do mint up my Golf.
« on: 21 August 2008, 17:20 »
Hi there,

Basically im getting told my paint needs some tlc (I thought it was quite tidy my self). Any way im told i have swirl marks on my paint. Can anyone tell me whats the best way to remove them and make it look new again. What products / technique is best to use etc...
Sorry im new to detailing..

See below, is it really that bad???

Thanks in advance!!

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Help - What do I need to do mint up my Golf.
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2008, 17:28 »
Probably worth getting it machine polished depending on how bad the swirls are.

I'll wait for Guy to come along he knows more than me..

Offline DamoGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2008, 17:31 »
My mate does machine polishing for a living, he said he will be able to do it..You recon thats worth it?

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2008, 17:51 »
My mate does machine polishing for a living, he said he will be able to do it..You recon thats worth it?

If he's using the right stuff probably worth getting him to do it at mates rates.

NewGolf

« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2008, 18:08 »
It does need doing. The GTI looks good though DamoGTI. I'll post some advice later on, cooking tea at the moment.  :wink:

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2008, 20:50 »
It does need doing. The GTI looks good though DamoGTI. I'll post some advice later on, cooking tea at the moment.  :wink:
what you havin for tea  :smug:

NewGolf

« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2008, 21:02 »
what you havin for tea  :smug:

Chinese my old mate TC!  :wink:
Sweet and Sour Chicken Hong Kong Style
Beef Curry With Boiled Rice
Crispy Aromatic Duck with Hoisin Sauce/Pancakes ETC
Special Fried Rice
Satay Chicken
Washed down with a glass or two of chilled Sancerre   :smug:

Ok back to the OT.
I'd get myself either a Porter Cable 7424 or a Meguiars G220 and Meguiars #80 and #83. Should cost you around £160-180 ish. Ok its a lot to pay out initially, but once you get the hang of it, not only can you do your own car, and future cars, you can chargde to do friends/family/neighbours/workmates.
I did this, bought a PC and using it on my old daily driver to learn the ropes, then my GTI, and have a ready stream of people wanting me to do theirs. My GTI gleams, even though TC reckons I have a Vauxhall  :sick:

After claying the car, using the PC with some 6" pads, #83 first then the #80, I'd either splash the cash and go for Zym0l Carbon at about £40-50 a tub, from here
http://www.monzacarcare.com/products/?category_id=6110&search_mode=view_item&product_id=1461&start=0&search_term=Enter%20search%20term
or a Zaino finishing  kit, from here
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zaino-39-finishing-39-kit-with-z-2-pro/prod_498.html

Hope this helps mate.

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2008, 22:06 »
I have only just started getting into the detailing lark, but agree with everything NewGolf has said (apart from his choice of Chinese for his tea  :wink:).

I spent quite a bit on a Megs G220 and Menzerna Polish + Pads Kit and Zaino Z2 kit (as listed above) from cleanyourcar.co.uk plus a set of Sonus small spot pads.

My car wasn't covered in swirl marks so only needed to a light polish to clean things up and then with the Zaino applied it looked great.  :cool:

However I have already had a go with the kit on a 12 year Rover 200 coupe which was covered in marks (including some bit's where the owner had used a bilo pad on the paint  :shocked:) and the results with Sonus fine clay followed by Menz Polishes (Power Gloss, Intensive Polish then Final Finish) and then a coat of Megs NXT2 Tech Wax where night and day (forgot my camera typically).

Otherwise I would just get a pro detailer to sort things out.  :smiley:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2008, 16:39 »
I have to agree with NEwgolf (Why is he not a mod in this section??).

Also have a look on detailing world if you need help with the technical stuff. OR ask here.

Your sig is under construction. I will remove the swirls through Photoshop  :laugh:

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

NewGolf

« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2008, 17:09 »
I spent all yesterday, (10 hours+) detailing my 8 year old daily driver, Mk4 1.4 Golf, it has swirls a lot worse than yours DamoGTI. I used to get free car washes as I worked for a big retail company who owned garages. As it was a company car I used to wash it weekly as I assumed I'd have to give it back! They let me have it last year when the company got bought out  :smiley:

I started out with the PC7424, (not invested in a G220, waiting until the garage is built), buffing pad and Megs #83. Moved up to Megs#80 once I could no longer see any scratches, then wiped the car down and gave Megs #7 Polish a go by hand. Honestly the car looks almost as good as new. Didn't take any pics, (sorry) as it was hard work and I thought it was going to rain  :sad: Battery was flat ans memory card is full of my GTI detail!

Finished off with Zaino Z2 with their accerator cure thingy, ZXF. WOW is all I can say!

Topped it off after an hour with Z8, it really does look fantastic.

08Micsta is spot on, DW is great for tips/guides and product info, as well as group buys. (Here is getting just as good, mind you!)

Are we going to open a new area for product recommendations? (I have far too many, I think I'm obsessed!)?

HTH