Author Topic: What do i need to use  (Read 1950 times)

Offline MAT ed30

• I live here
What do i need to use
« on: 05 August 2008, 22:32 »
I am hoping to detail my MK5 ed30 this weekend if the wheather holds out  :rolleyes: and would like to get the best result i can from a full day on the car  :smiley:
I have got a
Karcher
Snow foam lance
Auto rea chem snow foam
Megs 3 step but i have read the wax is crap so what wax should i buy?
Lots of micro fibres
Megs smooth surface clay kit

so what else do i need?
i want to get all 4 wheels off the car and clean the wheels and the wheel arches so what do i use on the wheels? and maybe clay the wheels so was looking at sonus green clay for this job
and i need some good brushes so what should i get?

main thing is the body what should i use? and the car is white
i dont have a polisher so it will all be done by hand
do i get some detail tape?
and whats the best method to do from start to finish

i have read so much on detail world but there is so much to take in so any help would be great
 :smiley:

EDITION 30 NUMBER:- 1038 ,Forge dv,ecs dog bone insert,Tints,inpro smoked indicators,panel filter,Black badge,Black roof,Black wing mirrors,REVO stage 2,Blueflame TBE,neuspeed arb,Neuspeed drop links,KW V3,S3 Intercooler,VWR clutch and LSD,VWR 6 pot brakes,1956 vw beetle (2332cc)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: What do i need to use
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2008, 23:04 »
dude

unless your car has suffered from particularly poor washing technique in the past your won't need to be polishing too much so don't worry about not having a polisher... you're gonna have one tired arm afterwards though!  :laugh:

given the kit you have and some other bits thrown in... here is what i would do...

light rinse (don't blast the hell out of it as you'll ingrain dirt into the clearcoat)
snofoam and dwell
rinse
hand wash using two bucket method
rinse & quick waffle dry.. won't have to be perfick
clay using sonus green
good old rinse & dry using waffle
megs 1 step (paint clean)
megs 2 step (polish)
I would use a sealant at this point... what is your budget?  megs do a sealant as do chemical guys -  jetseal 109 (i use this and I like it a lot)
then a nice hard wax for shine :cool: - thought about dodo juice diamond white? you could do a product review for us if you get that :afro:

heres a link for sealants and waxes http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/index.php?cPath=66&&page=1

wheels - maybe a quick claying... you can use the clay that you used on the paintwork.. then something like muc-off will do
I have just started using a wheel sealant... poorboys... such a good product... it's been two weeks now since I washed the car and although there is brake dust build up absolutely nothing is sticking to the alloy... just comes off with a light touch of a finger

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/index.php?cPath=25_30&&page=2

brushes... i use a kind of stubber brush on the nuts and the very edge by the tyre... then on the wheel face I use a soft wheel brush (alternatively use an old mitt) for in between the spokes I use a stiffer thinner brush to reach through to the back of the wheel

don't forget your applicator pads

have fun... show us your before and after pics!  :wink:

Offline MAT ed30

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2008, 13:06 »
thanks for the info fella i have put my order in  :smiley:

EDITION 30 NUMBER:- 1038 ,Forge dv,ecs dog bone insert,Tints,inpro smoked indicators,panel filter,Black badge,Black roof,Black wing mirrors,REVO stage 2,Blueflame TBE,neuspeed arb,Neuspeed drop links,KW V3,S3 Intercooler,VWR clutch and LSD,VWR 6 pot brakes,1956 vw beetle (2332cc)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2008, 22:41 »
thanks for the info fella i have put my order in  :smiley:

no probs  :smiley: