Author Topic: Polish + wax with supaguard  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
Polish + wax with supaguard
« on: 01 August 2008, 13:10 »
Hi,

Can I still use my favourite polish and wax on my Golf even though I'm pretty sure it has been supaguarded?

Thanks.

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Polish + wax with supaguard
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2008, 13:29 »
Hi,

Can I still use my favourite polish and wax on my Golf even though I'm pretty sure it has been supaguarded?

Thanks.

how long ago was it supaguarded?

what is your favourite polish and wax

supaguard is just a sealant... similar to jetseal 109

if you polish with something like AG SRP then you will break it down and remove it... washing and applying a wax such as collinite won't cause a problem though. but washing or prewashing with a snofoam or strong TFR mix will remove it... and of course it is a big no to washing using fairy liquid... use something like bilt hambler auto wash or born to be mild

if the car was supaguarded over 3 years ago, or maybe even less, you are probably going to be better off starting from scratch - wash, clay, wash, prime, sealant, wax = shiny  :cool:
« Last Edit: 01 August 2008, 13:31 by Guy »

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2008, 15:29 »
I'm not sure when the car was supaguarded. The car is second hand on a 53 plate so I'm assuming it was supaguarded when new, so from what you say below, I should probably start from scratch. That said, it still cleans really nicely.

The products I use include:

Mers car shampoo
Autoglym super resin polish (never used on the Golf yet)

I will have to buy a new wax as my old wax was for use specifically with dark colours.

What wax would you recommend on a silver car for a long lasting deep shine? How about the new Autoglym HD wax?

What sealant would you recommend - is Autoglym Extra Gloss protection any good?

In case you haven't already guessed, I like the Autoglym range of products :grin:

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2008, 16:04 »
i would start again from scratch... will allow you to give it a good claying first

sealant wise... i would use something a little more durable than the AG EGP... jetseal 109 is expensive but worth it imo

bilt hambler & Klasse are also good

the AG HD wax I am hearing good things about... I use collinite 915 or chemical guys 50/50

other than that the poorboys products are really good... or you could try dodo juice diamond white?

AG are ok... but there is better stuff out there... I was a fan of AG for years but only started achieving results when I moved on

NewGolf

« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2008, 20:33 »
Hi there
Ok this is only my opinion, but supaguard is not a product I'd choose, in fact I find it rather poor. I have had many new cars, all with £300+ options such as Lifeshine, Diamondbrite and Supaguard, all fail miserably compared with proper detailing, regularily applied products.

Id recommend Meguairs, Zymol (depending on budget) and Zaino. You will find the results a lot easier and far better compared to AG.

In my experiance!

HTH  :wink:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2008, 02:22 »
Hi there
Ok this is only my opinion, but supaguard is not a product I'd choose, in fact I find it rather poor. I have had many new cars, all with £300+ options such as Lifeshine, Diamondbrite and Supaguard, all fail miserably compared with proper detailing, regularily applied products.

Id recommend Meguairs, Zymol (depending on budget) and Zaino. You will find the results a lot easier and far better compared to AG.

In my experiance!

ive used silver seal on my customers cars for years now with no problems at all!!!!! alot of people think that once they've had these treatments applyed to the car they dont need to seal it or wax it anymore,resulting in the product failing so to speak,these products are very good if backed up with regular sealing on top and regular waxing.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Cav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2008, 02:58 »
supuauard is a load of old s***e... 

all it is is a really rubish non lasting sealant.. of which there are loads of better ones...

clay the car and go with a jet seal 103 then collinite if your looking for a long lasting result.
PureDetail.co.uk

NewGolf

« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2008, 10:49 »
Hi there

In my experiance!

ive used silver seal on my customers cars for years now with no problems at all!!!!! alot of people think that once they've had these treatments applyed to the car they dont need to seal it or wax it anymore,resulting in the product failing so to speak,these products are very good if backed up with regular sealing on top and regular waxing.

Happy with the product, or happy with the commission/markup you make on selling it?

I know how it works, an ex salesman told me all about it. The dealer he worked for sold Lifeshine at £300+ and they got them in for under £50 and it took 2 hours in total for a nipper to wipe on.

I personally would TOTALLY avoid any dealership detailing product, instead read up on here and do it yourself. Much better.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2008, 23:29 »
Hi there

In my experiance!

Happy with the product, or happy with the commission/markup you make on selling it?

I know how it works, an ex salesman told me all about it. The dealer he worked for sold Lifeshine at £300+ and they got them in for under £50 and it took 2 hours in total for a nipper to wipe on.

I personally would TOTALLY avoid any dealership detailing product, instead read up on here and do it yourself. Much better.

BOTH!!!! if the nipper as you quote takes 2 hours to put it on then he needs training big time!! plus if he's wacking it straight on the car without preping it first then the product is going to fail without a doubt,prices vary but if the jobs done properly it will last, its not just a case of slapping it on theres more to it than that,sounds like this ex salesman worked in a mickey mouse outfit. the car should have a minimum of a days prep before applying these products.
and for the record i dont charge anywhere near 300+ for this treatment,im not into robbing people.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!