Author Topic: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels  (Read 34893 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2021, 12:31 »
Yes, S001's on my two GTD's were bloody dreadful....

but...

S005 is a different tyre and the Mk8 doesn't tramp like a Mk8.

Absolutely zero wheel spin, not in the cold, not in the wet and I've seen TR Hamza light it up with launch and even he said "wow, no tramping".

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2021, 12:32 »
So it sounds like Pretoria from CM wheels / Michelin 4S tyres which'll bolt straight on without offset concerns....?

Are those 8J or 8.5J? Remember what I said about the Adelaides and the winglets...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2021, 12:46 »
Yeah, I’d avoid 8.5J on a mk8, even ignoring the weird winglets (snowflake EU thing) an 8.5J ET45 will be pushing it on an 8. The arches don’t seem quite as accommodating as those on a mk7 despite it being mostly the same car.
8x19 ET42 to 45 will sit just about right unless you want full gangsta stance.

CMWheels also do Estoril replicas but they have polished faces so I’d worry about that. OEM polished faces can be bad enough.

There’s an amazing looking set of genuine Pretorias in the mk7 classifieds on here. I’d have snapped them up if they’d been advertised a week or two before they went live as they’re not far from me.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287268.0
« Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 12:50 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2021, 14:14 »
Can some one clarify please the difference.
I was looking at a car with 18s then possibly fitting 19s, but when I had a snoop at the configurator it looked as though there was a suspension setup difference between the two. Just blows my mind......  :smiley:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2021, 14:18 »
Can some one clarify please the difference.
I was looking at a car with 18s then possibly fitting 19s, but when I had a snoop at the configurator it looked as though there was a suspension setup difference between the two. Just blows my mind......  :smiley:

Yes there is.... VW now are fitting different springs to Mk8's with 17's, 18's and 19's.

On the previous Golfs you got the same suspension for 17's as cast 19's - which is why everyone used to say urgh 19's make it ride terrible.

That's not to say you can't buy with 18's and fit 19's..... you just won't get the ride VW had in mind... which might not be terrible, just different.

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2021, 15:25 »
Thats what i thought Fred, Thanks, I was just watching volkswizard saying about his CS(also reviewing the vrs Octavia) with negative camber on the front is that on the Gti also?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2021, 15:34 »
Thats what i thought Fred, Thanks, I was just watching volkswizard saying about his CS(also reviewing the vrs Octavia) with negative camber on the front is that on the Gti also?

I think the clubby has more negative camber to enhance its turning in rate.... whether the GTI has negative camber at all I don't know off of the top of my head, certainly the clubby has more.

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2021, 15:44 »
I am sure once the Golf has been out for a bit, people will delve into this subject a lot more especially over the pond.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2021, 15:53 »
I don't know if the GTI has a neutral camber, but certainly of the clubby:

The next most significant alteration is the negative 1.2 degrees camber employed at the front. It's a geometry chosen by Leuchter because, in his words, "you can attack the entrance of each corner more" and "better feel when the tyre reaches its limits". It's aggressive for a road car but not the maddest setting VW has used in recent times, with the old Clubsport S set at -2 degrees. Same goes for the progressive steering rack tuning: it's a quicker 14:1 from centre, but matches the Mk8 GTI's overall ratio (2.1 turns lock-to-lock), to keep the car easy to place at high speed. According to its makers, when combined with new control arms and firmer damper bearings, the Clubsport's final setup improves steering feedback, too.

Its definitely a different geometry on the Clubby in quite a few ways, doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but those are definitely noticeable numbers...

Offline Snowman8888

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2021, 23:14 »
Re Tyres, my GTI collected last week come with 18'' Goodyear Eagle F1 super sports.
Was quite surprised as was expecting the dreaded Bridgestones...

So did mine which was a nice surprise!