Author Topic: VTEC Just kicked in yo… on a EA888 evo4 engine  (Read 1765 times)

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
VTEC Just kicked in yo… on a EA888 evo4 engine
« on: 12 January 2023, 11:29 »
Howdy

My background is Honda really, had a few NA K20 engines that had VTEC. When Honda moved to forced induction they dropped the tech and the camshafts no longer had two profiles on intake and exhaust. Which made the engine far more boring…

I saw online that the EA888 gen3 engine has two cam profiles on the exhaust, similar to Honda’s VTEC, granted on the exhaust only and it’s activated differently.

The Honda fan in me would love to think I have similar in my Clubsport 45

I’ve tried to find it online but can’t. Does the evo 4 engine in my car also have this like the gen3?
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: VTEC Just kicked in yo… on a EA888 evo4 engine
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2023, 18:13 »
The engine is likely very similar but the injection is different on later EA888 engines. I’ve no idea about gen 4 camshafts unfortunately, but most things like that are more emissions related than anything else these days.
What you won’t get with a turbo engine is a VTEC kick! Well, you will get a kick when the turbo starts spooling at 2000 ish RPM that you can manipulate on part throttle to get a catapult effect, but from there on in it’s a progressive gain due to the turbo being a pump that basically just increases in speed until it hits a ceiling.
Twin turbo units can obviously be tuned to give a VTEC type boost at higher RPM’s if using different sized compressors.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2023, 18:51 »
The engine is likely very similar but the injection is different on later EA888 engines. I’ve no idea about gen 4 camshafts unfortunately, but most things like that are more emissions related than anything else these days.
What you won’t get with a turbo engine is a VTEC kick! Well, you will get a kick when the turbo starts spooling at 2000 ish RPM that you can manipulate on part throttle to get a catapult effect, but from there on in it’s a progressive gain due to the turbo being a pump that basically just increases in speed until it hits a ceiling.
Twin turbo units can obviously be tuned to give a VTEC type boost at higher RPM’s if using different sized compressors.

Thanks.

Yea no vtec kick on forced induction. I had a FN2 that I supercharged. The sound difference still happened but the boost ironed out any kick. I was just surprised I unknowingly may have purchased a car that had similar tech to VTEC.

Just reading up as much as possible about the EVO4 unit. Impressive bit of kit. It’s crazy how different it does stuff to K20 engines

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2023, 19:31 »
Bingo!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner