Author Topic: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels  (Read 34826 times)

Offline Yantos

• Not said much yet
GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« on: 12 March 2021, 08:57 »
Hi All

New to the forum and just ordered a Clubsport on lease for a couple of years. Should arrive in the next 3 weeks New to Mk8 but not new to brand / model having had Mk6 a few years back.

Given it's lease, it comes without options and of course on the 18" Richmond wheels which I'm not a fan of so plan to put either Adelaide or Estoril wheels on, or alternatively (and if they fit ok), 19" Pretoria wheels which I think would suit the car well in silver or titanium (car is Silver).

Had a couple of questions related to this:

- I'm assuming for genuine Adelaide / Estoril, I'll need to source from a VW dealer ? Any ideas of cost ?
- I've seen Adelaide reps on eBay - any perspectives on the quality of these (integrity, weight etc.) compared to VW OEM
- Would the Pretoria's from the mk 7/7.5 be a simple bolt on job?
- Tyres - not sure what they'll arrive on, but what tyres are people running on these on 19" wheels ? I enjoy "spirited" driving and trackdays (though this won't be tracked) and have typically run Michelin Cups, Supersports, 4S on my other cars - M3 CSL, RS4 etc.

Thanks in advance and thanks (mods) for letting me in !

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2021, 09:21 »
Welcome Yantos!

I've got Adelaides on my GTI... things I can tell you:

They are HEAVY (12.6kg)
On the Mk8's the springs are different depending on the factory wheel size
They are slightly wider than the body being 8.5J and the car from the factory has winglets to keep it UK road legal.
From the factory they have BS S005's, if you wanted the best, its probably PS4S's.

If you want max track attack you probably don't want 19's anyway, get some lightweight 18's or even 17's and some cups.

Hope you've ordered DCC on your clubby. Mistake if you haven't IMHO.... not for ride comfort, but for the "ring mode"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yantos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2021, 09:27 »
Welcome Yantos!

I've got Adelaides on my GTI... things I can tell you:

They are HEAVY (12.6kg)
On the Mk8's the springs are different depending on the factory wheel size
They are slightly wider than the body being 8.5J and the car from the factory has winglets to keep it UK road legal.
From the factory they have BS S005's, if you wanted the best, its probably PS4S's.

If you want max track attack you probably don't want 19's anyway, get some lightweight 18's or even 17's and some cups.

Hope you've ordered DCC on your clubby. Mistake if you haven't IMHO.... not for ride comfort, but for the "ring mode"

Thx Fredgroves,

Not planning to track this but did want good rubber for spirited road driving...and I've been a Michelin fanboy. No DCC - it's a physical car, so I had no spec choice, but the deal was compelling enough to make do without. So the 19" will be for show more than go!

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2021, 09:30 »
Re Tyres, my GTI collected last week come with 18'' Goodyear Eagle F1 super sports.
Was quite surprised as was expecting the dreaded Bridgestones...
« Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 09:33 by GTD1414 »

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2021, 09:34 »
You can expect Adelaide's, Estoril's or for that matter 19 inch Pretoria's sourced through VW to cost mega money. Certainly well over £2k per set without tyres.

If that's a bit too rich then there are some alternatives;-

Some have chosen 19 inch Brescia's from the Mk7 / 7.5 as they're a much more affordable OEM Golf wheel.

Pretoria's from the Passat have also been available recently for sensible money. However they're heavier than the Golf version and a different shade unless you go for the black ones. They're also a different offset.

Genuine VW Pret's are also available in 18 inch for around £1k. They come in 4 (I think) different colours and this would save you from buying tyres.

Aftermarket reps are available for much less money but they will vary in quality. The main issues will be weight, structural integrity and durability of the finish. CM Wheels though do seem to be well thought of by those that have tried them.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2021, 09:37 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2021, 10:10 »
Welcome Yantos  :smiley:

I have a bog standard Clubsport too which came on 18’s which I subsequently “upgraded” to 19’s. Suspension wise it feels much like my former Ed40 Clubsport in daily use, which is no bad thing.
Pretorias will fit straight on perfectly.
You don’t need DCC as the car rides and handles perfectly well on standard passive suspension.
Go for Pilot Sport 4S tyres as they work really well on Golfs, or Goodyear Assy 5’s will be just as good I’d imagine.

If you want genuine VW wheels you’ll have to keep an eye on eBay (German VW dealers usually) or forum/social media classifieds as UK dealer prices are truly eye watering.

Personally I went for replicas which weigh the same, give or take, as VW wheels plus still use the original bolts and bolt caps. Centre caps being the only slight issue as regards to using OEM parts.
CMWheels seem to be the go to place for reps, they’ll normally offer a slight forum discount too.

Crossed with Guzzle’s post as I was typing so some stuff duplicated.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2021, 11:00 »
If you want genuine VW wheels you’ll have to keep an eye on eBay (German VW dealers usually) or forum/social media classifieds as UK dealer prices are truly eye watering.

Bear in mind that some EU based companies are no longer exporting to the UK since Brexit, due to the increased admin and form filling involved (Tyre Leader who are based in the EU no longer sell aftermarket alloys in the UK). Additionally, German sourced genuine VW wheels may cost quite a bit more now, because of the post-Brexit import taxes and duties that will apply.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2021, 11:43 »
Re Tyres, my GTI collected last week come with 18'' Goodyear Eagle F1 super sports.
don't get S005 Bridgestones mixed up with S001s. They are a completely different tyre, not that anything was wrong with the S001s.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2021, 12:03 »
don't get S005 Bridgestones mixed up with S001s. They are a completely different tyre, not that anything was wrong with the S001s.
I've not tried the 5s but found the 1s not so good in the rain, on a GTD anyway.

Offline Yantos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2021, 12:30 »
Thx Guys, great feedback.

So it sounds like Pretoria from CM wheels / Michelin 4S tyres which'll bolt straight on without offset concerns....?

Or if I'm feeling flush, OEM from VW / Michelin 4S tyres but be prepared for a wait...?

Cheers