Author Topic: Winter washes - how often?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
Winter washes - how often?
« on: 09 December 2009, 11:18 »
This will sound like a weird question but how often should I be washing the car in the winter months?

In the summer/warmer months I have been cleaning the car every weekend giving it a 2BW, waffle weave dry, wax on the body & alloys (Pete's 5050), then some Megs tyre shine gel. This is easy to do in the summer because the car doesn't get too dirty, there is plenty of daylight hours and it's quite warm and nice outside.

However at this time of year the car is getting quite muddy, there is salt and grit on the roads plus the weather is cold and usually raining.

Is it best to do a 'full' detail and seal the paintwork up with a couple of wax layers and then leave it for 2/3 weeks or should I still try and do a wash every weekend but not worry about applying wax every time? (don't have time during the winter).

Incidentally, I cleaned the car on Sunday and did a 2BW, dry followed by an application of Meg Last Touch to boost the shine - although I did weaken and put a coat of wax on the wheels as I am concerned about salt getting to the Monza II's.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline kdiz

• Here all the time
Re: Winter washes - how often?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2009, 12:13 »
I think it comes down to preference and how much you can be bothered to do more than anything.

Obviously polishing is hard to archive as you have to do it on non-damp non-rainy days which there is much less of during the winter months.

You can often get more heavy duty waxes which last longer in winter months, I think aslong as your car is in good shape i.e. a full detail like you said, you can easily get away with a wash / meg last touch every 2 weeks then think about re-applying wax when the effects run out. I know people who clean their cars every weekend no matter what as they are obsessed with any tiny piece of mud or dirt.

Offline nogrille

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2009, 12:15 »
it's entirely up to you.  50/50 will last more than 3 weeks so you don't HAVE to rewax every time.  I'm spending more time on the chassis this month in prep for road salt.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2009, 11:15 »
I've taken to washing my cars every other week now rather than every week. This reduces the amount of contact with the car, and minimises the potential for swirls.

After each wash I use AG Aqua Wax (express wax if you buy in bulk) as a drying aid, and as a top up my wax.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2009, 12:33 »
You really do not need to be waxing your car every week. If you give your car a good detail around now and apply 2/3 coats of Petes 53, you won't need to re-wax until around February. A couple of coats of Pete's 53 should last your 2/3 months.

Again, the same with your alloys, what sealant/wax are you using on them? You shouldn't need to do them every week. The protection (if your using the right products) should last a good month or two at least.

As for how often to wash, just when you get chance give it a nice wash, you don't want road salt sitting on the paintwork for too long.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2009, 12:34 »
Not washed (by me) since about October.
 :cool:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2009, 12:39 »
Wash my car every week and wax it every 3months. Use detail spray after every wash.

Even if you are too busy to wash the car, at least clean off those brake dust on your 18inch alloys. Once the brake dust bakes, you will never regain that shine without a full refurb

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2009, 16:04 »
I still wash my car at least once a week, and detail bits where i have time (weather prevailing).

I dont really have to see dirty roads or mud, just motorways, so i just get the spray of dirt, not full on grime and mud.

Nothing nicer than walking past dirty cars to your shiny car.

Offline hyland770

• I live here
  • Vw Golf 1.6 estimated to have around 500+ bhp
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2009, 10:36 »
i was asking about this subject in another part of the forum, i just thought whats the point as soon as i drive off my driveway onto the country roads its going to be filthy again! but i think im just going to put up with it, wash, wax and then clean it every weekend. May even powerwash the underside of the car and get some protection under there too for over the winter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2009, 12:23 »
i just thought whats the point as soon as i drive off my driveway onto the country roads its going to be filthy again!

A neighbour said the same to me when I was washing my car in the rain, I asked him if he wiped his arse after his morning dump, as that would only get dirty again the next day.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.