Author Topic: Water Leak solved???  (Read 32381 times)

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
Re: Water Leak solved???
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2012, 11:07 »
I seem to have sorted (touch wood) my drivers footwell leak, however have stuffed plenty of news paper into the passenger (drivers side) footwell and that seems to be soaking up quite alot of water.

i would definitely recommend taking out the plastic on the wheel arch and cleaning out all the gunk there, so the water runs straight through. The water comes from just below the windscreen and runs through a small hole inside the plastic casing(that can easily be blocked with leaves and gunk). I forced the plastic casing open and put a block of wood there to keep it open whilst i stuck my hand in and tried to remove leaves etc.
The water runs down and out of the wheel arch. I removed a solid 3 handfuls of gunk from inside the plastic arch ( a heck of alot) , and then ran some water through to clear the remaining gunk. Cannot confirm yet if this is the cause of my leak, but will update you if it dries out.

Other things i have tried so far;

sun roof drains

door nipples

I also have most of the carpet up, and if we get some good weather soon i am going to take out the drivers seat, and get fully under the carpet, and have my other half throw buckets of water until i can see the water seeping in.

Apologies for some of the terminology im not sure of the correct term for the plastic casing just below the windscreen!

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2012, 12:01 »
oh yeah i forgot about the wheel arches  :lipsrsealed:

the sunroof, just so im clear, is drained down the front pillars, is that right? its just for the life of me i cant find the pipes  :angry:

i know the air filter needs cleaning, probably replace the plastic cover, wheel archers cleaned out, footwells drained, bumper removed, all nipples squeezed and seal up bumper grill after draining  :cry: there goes my weekend

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2012, 12:34 »
If i remember correctly i think the sunroof drains come out the nipple in the door hinge. Mine was full of dust rather than gunk, and when i ran water through it, it dripped through.

If your carpets are sopping wet, i cant imagine it would be the sun roof, as not that much water comes through these drains.

I have yet to do the rear bumper, but my latest thought is the doors.

Well i think my weekend is removing the drivers seat and trying to see where the water is coming in!

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2012, 12:38 »
right well, due to the p!$$ poor weather i ended up carbon wrapping my interior trim and my mates and so bumpers have remained on, though hopefully next weekend i can take it to my mate garage after hours and have had thee with everything hes got, looks like an all nighter but its gonna happen, bit strange though that all through yesterday my passenger side door nipple has remained dry...not a good omen, and i need to get the carpet up and drivers seat as left hand side is bone dry, thinking either  wheel arch, rear bumper nipples, vent in bumper or GFH under the car somewhere  :cry:

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2012, 12:54 »
I can update you that, the wheel arch gunge is not the cause of my water leak.

I have again, a sopping wet carpet. Not sure what i am going to try next. i am pretty sick of it, so i may go with the carpet up, one person in the car, the other pooring water over car, and watch and wait, maybe masking tape certain areas to see where if it gets damp!

Will let you know !

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2012, 13:20 »
I can update you that, the wheel arch gunge is not the cause of my water leak.

I have again, a sopping wet carpet. Not sure what i am going to try next. i am pretty sick of it, so i may go with the carpet up, one person in the car, the other pooring water over car, and watch and wait, maybe masking tape certain areas to see where if it gets damp!

Will let you know !

kool beans, my front footwell is dry now, so may be nipples in the back bumper so gonna get it on the ramps at some point to sort this out and get under the car

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2012, 15:59 »

hosting images

Heres what i found when i went for lunch today, as you can see, it looks like there is water sitting in the seal of the door.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2012, 17:08 by andrew.0 »

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2012, 16:03 »

IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg

think you missed the other bottons mate  :laugh:  :wink:

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2012, 17:12 »
It looks like (toward the left) you can see water has made it into the car. If you run your finger along the little rivit of the seal it has water all in that rivit.

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2012, 19:56 »
hmmm, mine didnt look like that if im honest however i will be checking again after tonights rain, might be as mentioned in another post a leak in the window seal which could be causing it but as i said mine drying out in the front  :undecided: