Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 82341 times)

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2013, 20:13 »
"Sport and sound" is now on the VW configurator.  It's described as exactly what was standard on the GTD originally - i.e. internal resonator with no outside sound.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline Rich_G

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2013, 10:30 »
I'm trying to get an answer out of VW about the Sport & Sound option.
As I've pointed out to them, when I ordered my GTD four weeks ago I was lead to believe that it was a standard feature.
GTD in Tornado Red

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2013, 12:16 »
Yeah I called my dealer about this last night. Still waiting to hear back too! Mine should have been built last week but still not built.

Offline Rich_G

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2013, 13:01 »
So here's the reply I've had from VW via their facebook page.

Volkswagen UK
Hi Richard, Thanks for your patience, we've now received further info. The sound generator enhances the aural sensation for the driver (and passengers). In ‘Sport’ mode (using the Driver Profile Selector) there is an additional acoustic emphasis to the sound of the engine inside the car, with no additional noise externally. This isn't a standard feature and has only just been released by our factory.

Now I'm confused; they're saying that up until now there has been no sound actuator on the car.
GTD in Tornado Red

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2013, 13:46 »
Bullsh!t. If he’s talking about an internal resonance based sound actuator then pre BW45 cars have had them as standard. I’m sure(ish) on mine that there’s a bit of sound actuator in Normal, compared to Eco, but it’s definitely there in Sport mode. Where do VW UK go to get their info?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2013, 17:37 »
From the parent company - VW in Germany.... which is why things are often 'lost in translation' or 'adjusted', the classic example being cam belt change periods...

Offline Robbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2013, 18:32 »
I'm sure I read or watched a review (can't remember which or where) where it mentioned something about a sound package, which would become available. From what I remember, they said it will subtly pipe engine noises through the internal speakers in the car matching the engine and you can choose from different sounds (V8 for example). Anyone heard of this? Or am I talking complete sh!te?  :evil: :evil:

I'll try and find the review, so I know I'm not going mad :grin:
Golf GTD Manual 5 Door, Carbon Grey.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 07 November 2013, 19:04 »
Nope, you are not going mad... why am i thinking a topgear episode or something? certainly rings a bell with me too :)
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline Robbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 07 November 2013, 19:24 »
Found this on YouTube - certainly sounds enhanced.  Sounds normal on start up, but certainly sounds different to what I'd expect when accelerating. For those that have their GTD's, is this the actuator sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciI4H6Lq8xk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What do you think?
Golf GTD Manual 5 Door, Carbon Grey.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2013, 22:03 »
Well proof of the pudding is that my August built car when I scanned it using VCDS list the structure borne sound actuator (SBSA) in the CAN gateway, can be reached and can also be put into diagnostic mode so it's certainly there.

Can't imagine any GTD's didn't come with it (which means VW are either lying, or more probably as usual, know feck all about the cars they sell). This then poses a question, if the external special exhaust system with the built in sound actuator isn't part of the package, and the SBSA is already fitted, then what exactly does that £250 buy you ? painted red calipers ? (I did mine myself for £10) !
« Last Edit: 07 November 2013, 22:06 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras