Author Topic: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: How many fellow TCR owners are there on here?
« Reply #70 on: 22 January 2021, 17:48 »
If anyone fancied swapping to the aluminium subframe, this seems to be a bargain - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-A3-Sub-Frame-2017-TFSI-5Q0-199-369-G-04-/124358939865?redirect=mobile

I would politely suggest that is almost certainly from a chopshop.

Unless its possible to run a supposed car breakers from a block of flats.

Don't encourage crime....

That's your assumption and a bit condescending with nothing obviously polite about it. They also have this ad - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-Hatchback-Black-5-Door-2015-2018-For-Parts-Genuine-Doors-Front-Rear-Side/124358964614?hash=item1cf45f3586:g:lVwAAOSwZo5fdGaB showing the whole car which has front end damage and could easily be a write off. The seller is a registered limited company which on Companies House says they retail motor vehicle parts and accessories as well as sell used cars. They may sell stolen parts as you say but registering yourself as a company selling car parts doesn't seem like a good way of hiding your criminal activities.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #71 on: 22 January 2021, 20:22 »
And that advert neatly contravenes ebay selling policies.

My opinion remains, this is one (of many) iffy sellers on ebay.

Sure, register a company, these parts are untraceable.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #72 on: 23 January 2021, 02:21 »
Thanks all for the responses to my questions. I would probably need  to try and snag a TCR test drive to know whether the car would provide the solutions I'm after.  Not sure how likely that would be, however, as I'm pretty sure dealers here don't keep them in stock.

And yes, the DSG thing is definitely a consideration.  I may be solving one issue only to inherit another.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #73 on: 23 January 2021, 13:00 »
Interesting comments on the aluminium subframe but as a few members have said this is unlikely to make any difference to steering feel, I believe these subframes are standard on all Audi A3s from 2013 and they are not exactly renowned for their steering feel. The TCR is a great base car. Changing the main front LCA bush and the rear trailing arm bush to the CSS items, fitting a thicker rear ARB and camber top mounts with a fast road set up would transform the car. Admittedly, this would cost more than the front subframe but it will make a significant difference.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 23 January 2021, 22:52 »
Apologies if this has been answered previously, but does the TCR pick up the Edition 40's sharper steering (courtesy of the redesigned aluminum front sub-frame, i think).

My main grip with my 7.5 GTI is the sharp but dull steering.  That is, the lack of feel.  Wondering if a TCR may remedy that?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I won't be in a mk8, due to digital everything.  So....keep the 7.5GTI, or consider a TCR?

My own observations were that the TCR had sharper handling than the regular GTI but steering feel and sharpness was much the same. The actual steering wheel was much nicer to hold though due to the nice dimpled leather.

I didn’t rate the DSG much in normal mode as it changed up far far too quickly when just driving steadily but wanting to make reasonable progress. Practically in third gear by the time the wheels had rotated half a turn!
The mk8 Clubsport on my very brief drive did appear better in that respect but that might be proven wrong yet.
I also found the DCC front dampers too quick to wallow in normal mode when cornering quickly but gently.

Minor gripes as everything else about the car was fantastic, looks (rear diffuser aside), sense of occasion, performance, handling...

But don’t totally write off the mk8 either just based on internet reviews.
If you’re a terminal fiddler then there is much to fiddle with which can be a bit fiddly.  But if you set the vehicle up to your taste and driving style and then pretty much leave most of it alone then it’s not too bad.
Endlessly twiddling knobs is just as dangerous as messing about prodding bits of screen, and just like any keyboard you become familiar with use where things are without really looking  (up to a point).
Having said that I still use a geriatric iPhone because I can’t stand the haptic button on the iPhone 8 sat next to my bed so never ever use it, and find the iPhone 11 and 12 buttonless faces a bit annoying too so stick with older units I have which employ a real home button.
The haptic buttons on the mk8 ‘wheel are nasty things but unless one uses ACC a fair bit (I never use it) then it’s just the stereo controls that need acclimatising to.
Do they spec a heated steering wheel as standard in warmer climes than the UK?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 24 January 2021, 01:13 »
......Do they spec a heated steering wheel as standard in warmer climes than the UK?

Mk8 won't be released her for a while yet - from memory mid 2021?  So specs aren't available, but I highly doubt the heated steering wheel will make its way down under.  We tend to get highly-specced versions of the GTI, but none to date (to my knowledge) have featured a heated steering wheel. 

Some interesting info and comments there, thanks.  I am a serial fiddler, so on that basis alone am highly dubious of the mk8's digital interface.  Mostly cabin temp and fresh/recirculated air controls, so they would need to be easily accessible without being distracting.  Oh, and the always-on stop-start would give me the irrits, I suspect.

I'll definitely have a look at the mk8, though, as the driving experience does sound like it would better suit me.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 24 January 2021, 11:01 »
Is there still a supply of “new” Golf 7.5’s coming through in Australasia?

Pre mk8 I’ve never seen a heated sports steering wheel in a performance orientated Golf before but it seems to be something filtering down from luxury barges to smaller hatches from various marques now.

You’re right to be sceptical about the digital interface in the mk8, it’s sure not going to suit everyone. The BMW 1 series seems to do it better as a blend but even that can be a bit over-fiddly for certain things. Maybe I’m just getting too old for it all! 
I can think of people on the forums who will enjoy poring over manuals (and getting excited about the digital manual in the car) and setting things up, but that’s not my thing. I like a user friendly intuitive set up which doesn’t detract or distract from the actual driving. Even after almost seven years with a mk7 I struggled to remember how to do certain things with the steering wheel buttons sometimes!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #77 on: 24 January 2021, 18:03 »
I can think of people on the forums who will enjoy poring over manuals (and getting excited about the digital manual in the car) and setting things up

:whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 24 January 2021, 22:35 »
It wasn’t *just* you that sprang to mind, honest!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #79 on: 25 January 2021, 05:19 »
Is there still a supply of “new” Golf 7.5’s coming through in Australasia?

I like a user friendly intuitive set up which doesn’t detract or distract from the actual driving.

They're still available, as far as I know.  But they are possibly cars ordered months ago or dealer orders in stock.

I'm completely with you on the second statement.  I guess the tech-heavy thing is aimed at younger drivers.  But it's not for me.