Author Topic: Ive gone and done it again......now with MG3, MG6 & 'Ring content.  (Read 12762 times)

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
Re: Ive gone and done it again......
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2014, 18:18 »
Gone for an MG3! I'll copy and paste the write-up that I put on the MGR forum - if any of you VAG lot actually care?!  :grin:

I thought Id write a summary of my recent experiences with MG3s that have lead to me and the Mrs finally smashing the piggy bank.

We started of by looking at Citroen C3/DS3, VW Polo and also possibly a Pug 108 - the other half has a salary sacrifice scheme at work which includes all of the other cars (not the MG3) but these are all 3 year lease deals where you hand the car back at the end. In the end the lure of paying less per month but over 5 years to own the car was too much.

After visits to several dealerships and meeting some of the least charismatic sales people ever (Nuneaton Citroen) we ended up at Bishop and Bishop in Leicester. The dealership is not up and running yet as it is new but they have a few cars to look at and some very helpful salesmen, overall we were impressed with the car and the dealership so booked a test drive for the next Sunday (today). By this point my girlfriend had decided that the MG3 was a better looking car and with better build quality than she had expected. We went straight from B+B to a Citroen dealership in Leicester where she finally decided that the C3 looked decidedly boring after viewing an MG3 and that the DS3 was not worth the extra thousands of pounds.

Over the last week we had been slowly narrowing down the choice of cars until we were left with just the MG3, it really does add up as on ownership proposition. We decided to take a trip to the sales centre in Longbridge to have a look at the two colours that we both agreed were our favourites (Yellow and White).

Arriving at the sales centre for the first time in around a year and a half I was surprised at how different it was, there was an atmosphere, there were cars everywhere awaiting delivery, the showroom was buzzing, it was very different and very impressive. The MGCC were there too which obviously added to the occasion but there were also several other couples there - one asking about a part-ex valuation on a Streetwise and one lad with his dad that went straight out on a test drive.

We had a good look around the cars before being approached by Dave who offered us a test drive straight away.

My Mrs went first - she was impressed with the comfort and how easy it was to drive. I sat in the back and was impressed with the amount of room and noise insulation but noticed that it was quite bumpy, the suspension was firmer than I was expecting (but this is a good thing). I was becoming concerned though as it just didnt feel fast at all.

Then it was my go. It felt good, easy to find a good driving position, good brake feel and nice light pedals - thoroughly more modern than the ZR that had taken us over there. I decided to give it a few more revs than the other half had - the engine does get noisy as mentioned in most reviews and it still doesnt feel that quick. The thing is - it is actually going quick! Weird. As I pulled away from a set of lights and put my foot to the floor I was waiting for the performance to start when I glanced at the speedo and realised that I was nearly doing 60 in second gear! Fair play to Dave for not saying anything or even using the invisible brake pedal. I took the next couple of corners, on a windy section of test route, with more vigour - the MG3 felt planted - very impressed. As I got more miles under my belt I was really starting to gel with the car and was becoming more impressed. The performance never felt overly scintillating but there is enough there if youre willing to work for it and there is definitely enough there for my Mrs who rarely drives over 2K revs.

Anyway, I feel I have rambled on too much so I'll finish off by saying that we were both suitably impressed to sign on the dotted line for a 3Form Sport in Yellow for delivery in April!

Thanks to Dave at the Sales Centre who was very helpful, low pressure and easily the best salesman that we have met over the last two weeks.

VW BUSH

Re: Ive gone and done it again......now with MG3 content.
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2014, 18:28 »
Is it an 8v :grin:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2014, 18:46 »
first i was like  :huh: then I was like  :undecided: and now  :laugh: :grin:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2014, 18:47 »
That's a looker, isn't it?!

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2014, 19:46 »
I knew you lot would love it!  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2014, 12:30 »
Look at its funny little wheels!  :laugh:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2014, 13:01 »
first i was like  :huh: then I was like  :undecided: and now  :laugh: :grin:

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2014, 13:45 »
THese are a bit of no brainer for what they cost, crackign little things. Starting to see a few out ont he roads as well. Nice one!

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2014, 11:53 »
Hmm, people have a very different opinion. I drove a LHD model. Though it was pre release, it was production intent model.

Dynamics wise, it's oversprung and underdamped. So it's slightly crashy over bumps yet jiggly afterwards. Roadholding was fairly impressive though.

Refinement wise, it's not up to european standards, to be polite. I would decribe it as 'sh!te', it's mainly down to cheap components (which can be forgiven to an extent becuase it's a cheap car) and a poor trimpack.

My main points as I remember them:

Very tinny sound if you slam the door (does not 'sound like a golf'), gives the impression you are in a metal can rather than a solid car.
Horrid mechanical clacking at idle.
PAS pump extremely noisy at full lock, with corresponding poor steeringwheel vibration.
Exceptionaly poor gear rattle, almost any gear below 2krpm at full load
Ringing whines at part load, and clear whines on coast down
Very noisy, with not great sound quality when you are pushing on.
Odd RPM flair when going from 1st to 2nd (the clutch had a very high pite point on the car I drove, so it's probably related)

Though on a positive there were no rattles or squeaks form any of the trim, so it seemed fairly well screwed together. It just required sealing and trim work (which may or may not have been done since I drove it).

All in all for a sub 10 grand car, I prefered the Sandero.

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2014, 20:28 »
We looked at the Sandero early on but thought that the MG3 felt like a class above. I even commented on the decent 'thud' sound as you close the door the first time we looked at one.

I can admit that it isnt the last word in refinement though and that there are a few rough edges - but its just so much fun - it reminded me of my AX GT or of my ZR but with more maturity. Neither of these are known for refinement but theyre bloody good to lob about.

Obviously I will comment on those other things that you mentioned, in due course but none were immediately apparent on the test drive.

I think Autocar got it spot on with regards to the handling - http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mg-motor/mg3/ride

Its probably a bit too much for some people on a daily basis but then again, so is my ZR and my Mrs is used to a 84HP Rover 200 so it feels like a rocket-ship to her.

Each to their own I guess.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2014, 20:30 by snifferdog »