Author Topic: Do you consider the GTD noisy - engine wise  (Read 13702 times)

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Re: Do you consider the GTD noisy - engine wise
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2013, 19:03 »
Depends how you're driving. If you're on dual carriageways doing 70+ mph for a lot of your driving for at least 15 miins a session, you've probably done all your regens passively in a fraction of your journey and not even known about it. If you've been tootling around the doors and not had a regen within 400 miles then something very odd is happening.

Ah to be fair the vast majority of my mileage has been dual carriageway (a19 bane of my life). That'll be why then.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2013, 08:34 »
It'll sound like a taxi because it is a diesel.

Whilst they have done some clever stuff to address nvh issues with diesel powered cars over the years, because of the compression ignition, they'll never get rid of that characteristic diesel "knock" entirely...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2013, 19:29 »
I can't get over how quiet my GTD is, it's the quietest diesel I have ever driven

GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2013, 19:33 »
Yes, very very quiet Gordor sat inside and when driving, can't fault it there. I was more referring to standing next to it on a driveway with the engine on tickover. I know its a diesel and therefore they make diesel noises, but certainly my Scirocco CR TDI lump was quieter.

On a positive note though, now that I have some miles on it, not only is the economy improving hand over fist, but the engine seems to be getting more and more quiet as well.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2013, 19:51 »
I've not tried the standing next to it test yet, but I was driving an A1 while waiting for the GTD to arrive and it is so much quieter than that. Mind you, I am driving like a nun at the mo  :cry: On the bright side I actually got the park assist to work today...thought I was being a numpty and couldn't make it work before so well happy.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Andy B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2013, 18:09 »
Sorry for my ignorance, but wtf is a 'regen'?

Sounds like something Doctor Who does...  :smiley:

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 29 September 2013, 18:22 »
I've not tried the standing next to it test yet, but I was driving an A1 while waiting for the GTD to arrive and it is so much quieter than that. Mind you, I am driving like a nun at the mo  :cry: On the bright side I actually got the park assist to work today...thought I was being a numpty and couldn't make it work before so well happy.

Hey Gordor - could I ask what's your impression of the Park Assist so far?  I've got that coming (strictly for the Mrs mind you :grin: :grin: :grin:).
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2013, 19:20 »
To be true, the park assist is a bit of a gimmick (first time I have specced it also) I too might have bought it to protect the 19s from the good lady, but it would have driven the car into a pillar in the multi-storey last Thursday if I had let it :sad: :sad: :sad:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2013, 22:12 »
Sorry for my ignorance, but wtf is a regen

Modern diesels to cope with ever more stringent Euro emission laws, now have to be fitted with DPF's (diesel particulate filters). These filter out all the harmful soot deposits from the exhaust system, which is why modern diesels don't leave a trail of black smoke when they accelerate.

Trouble is, to effectively burn these soot by products, the DPF has to be at a critical operating temperature band (which is very high). If you use the car everyday for reasonable journeys, then the DPF will attain temperature and the soot deposits will be burnt off. The DPF can self regulate itself and constantly measures the soot level contained within in. It can only hold a finite number of grams worth of soot, and when it feels its building up, the ECU will instigate a regeneration (or regen) cycle. This can with be passive (I.e unnoticed to you, and taken care of by the ECU during the normal driving of the car), or forced or active.

If however you do constant short journeys, the car is unable to burn the soot using the passive regen method, as the DPF temperature and length of journey isn't sufficient to allow a passive regen. In these instances where the soot begins to build up, the car can at any time instigate an active regen. With an active regen, changes in the timing and fuelling characteristics are deliberately altered to raise the exhaust gas temperatures, thereby heating up the DPF. However this method will have an impact on fuel economy and will raise the revs and you normally smell the increase in temperature from the engine bay. If the car still can't perform even an active regen (journeys are far too short), then the ECU can switch in a dash warning light and it then becomes a dealer matter to force an active regen in their service bay. Note that this isn't covered under warranty and would be a chargeable exercise.

That's the reason dealers are supposed to ask what sort of mileage the car will be doing before selling someone a Diesel, as constant too short a journey (I.e. just the school run for instance), will block the DPF very quickly and even a dealer active regen might not be able to recover it resulting in a new DPF at a cost of well into 4 figures.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2013, 07:49 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 30 September 2013, 07:10 »
To be true, the park assist is a bit of a gimmick (first time I have specced it also) I too might have bought it to protect the 19s from the good lady, but it would have driven the car into a pillar in the multi-storey last Thursday if I had let it :sad: :sad: :sad:
that's not the fault of the park assist. nothing wrong with system and it's far from gimmicky. it says before in the mfd to check and your always in charge not the car and if you think it'll save your alloys think again. if the car in front or behind is parked with a wheel touching the kerb the yours will too as it uses the other cars as reference points.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.