Author Topic: Has the garage goosed my engine?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
Has the garage goosed my engine?
« on: 23 September 2017, 20:20 »
So, car was in for MOT the other day, passed second time round as failed on the horn not working. I know, I should have checked. Took car out today, and as Im driving along, couldnt help but notice that the car felt to be getting warm even tho blowers were on cool. Had a quick flick on MFA and car temp was upto 122! Pulled over and turned her off to let her cool down. Popped the hood to see coolant bubbling out from around expansion tank cap! The top rad hose was rock hard and f**********kin hot! So brains pondering WTF?! Turned electrics on expecting fan to come on but it didnt. Further inspection revealed that the a connector had been broken that links the bottom of rad to fan! Im certain that the garage has done this when checking the wiring to the horn as its in the same area behind the passenger front light. I had to walk to a halfrauds to buy some coolant to top it back up, botched the wiring and drove it back home. I was only 3-4 miles frome home. After looking over her back at home, when up to temp the fan kicks in again now after the wiring botch, but the top hose is getting rock hard again, like its being pressurised. Is it plausable that the headgasket has been goosed, or is it something else that may cause this after getting so hot?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: Has the garage goosed my engine?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2017, 18:08 »
When you say car temp you mean oil temp right. That's not stupidly excessive, particularly if you didn't drive it for long. Going to be a hard sell to blame the garage unfortunately I think

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Has the garage goosed my engine?
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2017, 21:48 »
It'd be a hard sell as mentioned if it wasn't being hammered and only a few miles. Just check the usual suspects for head gasket.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.