Author Topic: Problem with my driver seat?!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Problem with my driver seat?!
« on: 22 June 2011, 19:48 »
Hi guys,
I've only had my GTD about 10 days and I hate to be nit picking cos the car is great in almost every way, but there's something just not quite right with my driver's seat. I can't get comfortable in it. It feels like deja vu, cos I  had a very similar issue with the driver's seat in a 2005 Audi A3, and if I remember correctly, at the time the dealers eventually replaced the seat back frame and/or back padding foam, which seemed to cure the problem.

The problem is very very hard to describe, but I'll try.... When I put my weight back into the back rest (e.g. when moving off in traffic) it seems to creak a bit, or I can feel the insides of the seat back moving around, against my back. The back rest doesn't feel "solid", it seems to groan and creak and feels kinda lumpy or something, like there's something loose in the frame. The car only has a few hundred miles on it!! I tried sitting in the passenger seat and that feels more solid, more "normal"... but the passenger seat has barely been used yet.

I tried adjusting the lumbar support, the seat height, the head-rest, etc... and it doesn't make a difference.

As I said, it's hard to describe, and it's fairly subtle. I can imagine the dealer sitting into it and not finding any issue with it.

Just wondering if anyone's had an issue like this, or am I the only one?! I had a MKV GTI and the seats in the GTD look very similar to what I was used to, but so far it's just not as comfortable   :sad:

Also, I'm only a small-ish fella, so my weight definitely isn't an issue!
« Last Edit: 22 June 2011, 19:51 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Jimmymature

Re: Problem with my driver seat?!
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2011, 20:24 »
Hi guys,
I've only had my GTD about 10 days and I hate to be nit picking cos the car is great in almost every way, but there's something just not quite right with my driver's seat. I can't get comfortable in it. It feels like deja vu, cos I  had a very similar issue with the driver's seat in a 2005 Audi A3, and if I remember correctly, at the time the dealers eventually replaced the seat back frame and/or back padding foam, which seemed to cure the problem.

The problem is very very hard to describe, but I'll try.... When I put my weight back into the back rest (e.g. when moving off in traffic) it seems to creak a bit, or I can feel the insides of the seat back moving around, against my back. The back rest doesn't feel "solid", it seems to groan and creak and feels kinda lumpy or something, like there's something loose in the frame. The car only has a few hundred miles on it!! I tried sitting in the passenger seat and that feels more solid, more "normal"... but the passenger seat has barely been used yet.

I tried adjusting the lumbar support, the seat height, the head-rest, etc... and it doesn't make a difference.

As I said, it's hard to describe, and it's fairly subtle. I can imagine the dealer sitting into it and not finding any issue with it.

Just wondering if anyone's had an issue like this, or am I the only one?! I had a MKV GTI and the seats in the GTD look very similar to what I was used to, but so far it's just not as comfortable   :sad:

Also, I'm only a small-ish fella, so my weight definitely isn't an issue!

Hi mate, I had exactly the same problem with mine and the seat base was replaced under warranty.  A quick trip to the dealer and it was all sorted.

Jim

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2011, 20:32 »
Thanks Jim,
I hadn't thought it would be the base... It feels more like it's the seat back, but I guess it's possible! Did you feel the same odd lumpy sensation from the seat backrest, like I described?

Jimmymature

« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2011, 20:48 »
Thanks Jim,
I hadn't thought it would be the base... It feels more like it's the seat back, but I guess it's possible! Did you feel the same odd lumpy sensation from the seat backrest, like I described?

Not so much the lumpy, more the really annoying creaking.....  I thought i had fixed once when i moved the seat position but it came back.

Take it to them, they get paid to fix it so no skin off their nose.

Jim

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2011, 20:52 »
Yeah, thanks Jim... just hate going back with it so soon for the monkeys in there to go at it! Ah well, thats what the warranty is for I guess. It's weird, cos I had the same bloody issue with an A3 6 years ago... dealer didn't believe me then but agreed to swap the seat frame anyway.