Author Topic: Help me out please guys- Im confused  (Read 4919 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Help me out please guys- Im confused
« on: 27 November 2008, 10:25 »
Hello guys

My client has approached me about detailing this vehicle and doing some paint correction. The vehicle is a 1996 MK3 Golf.
I took a look at the car today and I am left completely confused. :(

Here is the problem:

What is this??
My first thought was oxidation. But looking closer at it (with the owner staring over my back) I couldnt quite figure what it was. Its got a rough texture and smooths out on the edges of the bonnet. The bonnet is the only part affected besides this:

The rest of the car is in really good condition considering the colour and age of the vehicle:

Another weird thing is that the paint flushes nicely with no issues (Nice flake too) and then suddenly on the corner of the bonnet is this again and its really bad:

My client said that it deteriated like this over a period of two weeks and he does not know why. Looking at it closely it seems as if the paint was melted or something.

Is this an example of clearcoat failure? What could have cause this and more importantly how do I rectify it?

Im assuming wetsanding may be needed but how do I know there is a decent layer of paint under this muck?

I have accepted the work but was wondering if you guys new what this was and what methods I should take rectifying it? I have also posted this on Detailing world but want as much advice as I can get. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone.
Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Conker

• I live here
Re: Help me out please guys- Im confused
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2008, 12:59 »
It looks to me something dodgy has been put on the paint. If you look at the second pic you can see distinct lines around the washer jet. Could really badly applied (or contaminated) lifetime sealant cause this maybe? Or maybe a chemical was spilled e.g. brake fluid, but not washed off properly?

Looks like a tough job.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2008, 13:05 »
Do you think it can be fixed though? Or should I get quotes for a respray for the owner and include that in the detail?

Mike

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2008, 13:13 »
For the price of a respray won't it be cheaper to get another mk3.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2008, 13:15 »
^^^

:grin: :grin: :grin:

This is true  :evil:

Join our group now!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2008, 15:03 »
my first mk3 had this problem on the drivers side wing,compounding/polishing was a waste of time.

your looking at a respray on this one :sad: the clearcoat is fooooked
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2008, 15:06 »
It seems that way hey....  :sad:

I have spoken to the client and suggested I pop around tomorrow and just with a quick hand polish have a go at a taped off area and see what it does... If it makes zero difference then I will have to see what I can do for him.

Mike

Join our group now!

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2008, 16:51 »
had this on my mates fiesta, cant remember what we did to mend it thow  :embarassed:

try 182  :wink:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2008, 16:52 »
I posted this on DW so Im sure blue will see it... I think wetsanding may cure it...  :lipsrsealed:

Join our group now!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2008, 18:11 »
hope you get some kind of result :wink: try a bit of g3 paste.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!