Author Topic: 2018 GTI PP Isaac Blue 7.5 3 door .. GTechniq treatments completed  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
So Saturday was a strange but useful day, to be been contemplating a change from my Fiesta ST M-Sport which I’ve been using as a daily the last 3 years.

I toyed with a U.K. Edition WRX Subaru , Focus RS and different variants of the Golf GTI.

I had thought my ideal spec would be a 3 door solid white Clubsport 40.

But during a quick visit to my local VW Dealership I fell in love with their demonstrator a late 2018 Isaac Blue GTI 3 door on Bresicas and Art Velour Interior.

It reminded me of a 2005 mark V Blue Graphite that I ran for 2 1/2 years whilst living in France ... a brilliant car that used to do everything so well with a man minimum of fuss yet come alive on a mountain pass when the mood took.

Normally I travel a long way to buy a car or wait a good deal of time for it to arrive. But I took a pretty quick decision to go ahead on this 3 door and look forward to picking it up next week.

« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 11:47 by Zermatt »
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: 2018 Isaac Blue 7.5 3 door .. back in the GTI World
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2019, 00:22 »
An excellent choice sir, in particular with the colour and the wheels.

However - pics or it didn’t happen.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2019, 10:36 »
So Saturday was a strange but useful day, to be been contemplating a change from my Fiesta ST M-Sport which I’ve been using as a daily the last 3 years.

I toyed with a U.K. Edition WRX Subaru , Focus RS and different variants of the Golf GTI.

I had thought my ideal spec would be a 3 door solid white Clubsport 40.

But during a quick visit to my local VW Dealership I fell in love with their demonstrator a late 2018 Isaac Blue GTI 3 door on Bresicas and Art Velour Interior.

It reminded me of a 2005 mark V Blue Graphite that I ran for 2 1/2 years whilst living in France ... a brilliant car that used to do everything so well with a man minimum of fuss yet come alive on a mountain pass when the mood took.

Normally I travel a long way to buy a car or wait a good deal of time for it to arrive. But I took a pretty quick decision to go ahead on this 3 door and look forward to picking it up next week.

Congratulations  :grin:

Very good colour choice, I love mine. Under the sun it really is a lovely colour. Jealous of your interior  :cool:

Just be very careful with washing etc, Isaac Blue is a very very soft paint.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2019, 11:38 »
“Just be very careful with washing etc, Isaac Blue is a very very soft paint.”

Gah! I specifically avoided a solid paint and went for a metallic for exactly this reason. With my black A3, using snow foam, micro fibre mitt and the two bucket method wasn’t enough. It still looked like I’d washed it with a bag of grit and a Brillo pad.  Must be the eco friendly paint they use these days, plus putting thinner layers on to save money/recoup Dieselgate costs.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2019, 11:53 »
Isaac Blue is no softer than any other colour in the palette.

When my detailer measured the depths and machine polished my car last month he said the paint was standard durability and needed the same levels of abrasion as other VAG paints, he didn't need to go a grade softer or harder. Soft paint on Golfs is normally found on anything that is painted in gloss black, so on the R it's all the bumper/window trims, mirror caps etc.

The only thing is that from 2017 onwards there's about 40% less paint used on the cars than in previous years!
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2019, 12:15 »
Isaac Blue is no softer than any other colour in the palette.

When my detailer measured the depths and machine polished my car last month he said the paint was standard durability and needed the same levels of abrasion as other VAG paints, he didn't need to go a grade softer or harder. Soft paint on Golfs is normally found on anything that is painted in gloss black, so on the R it's all the bumper/window trims, mirror caps etc.

The only thing is that from 2017 onwards there's about 40% less paint used on the cars than in previous years!

The paint on my 2017 Tornado Red GTI was a lot harder, as confirmed by my deatiler when it went in for some work.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2019, 12:31 »
Isaac Blue is no softer than any other colour in the palette

Agree, solid and metallic / pearlescent coloured cars will all have primer, base coat and lacquer and go through the same painting process so the ‘hardness’ should be the same irrespective of the colour. Begs the question why VW charges more for metallic paint over a solid paint. The exception may be pearlescent Oryx White, which has an extra stage in the painting process - a separate pearlescent layer applied to a Pure White base coat before the lacquer coat is applied. Assume this extra stage in the painting process is the reason for the significantly higher cost of Oryx White paint.

VW paint always used to have a reputation for being hard. Maybe modern water based paints mean this is no longer the case, although I’ve machine polished the last two VW’s I’ve owned - both with water based paint - and would say that the paint does seem quite hard. Maybe on a brand new car the paint hasn’t fully cured when the car leaves the factory, but it continues to harden more over time.

Soft paint on Golfs is normally found on anything that is painted in gloss black, so on the R it's all the bumper/window trims, mirror caps etc.

Pretty certain that the piano black B pillar trims are a gloss black plastic and not actually painted. Whatever the finish is, they are very soft and very prone to swirling.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2019, 14:07 »
I have Isaac blue. Despite my best efforts- lambs wool mitt/ 2 bucket etc- haven’t been able to avoid some very light swirling. Only visible on close inspection and in certain light, but i was surprised nonetheless- given how careful I felt I had been on washing.
I think I just have to accept it’s unavoidable on the darker colours
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2019, 15:53 »
I have Isaac blue. Despite my best efforts- lambs wool mitt/ 2 bucket etc- haven’t been able to avoid some very light swirling. Only visible on close inspection and in certain light, but i was surprised nonetheless- given how careful I felt I had been on washing.
I think I just have to accept it’s unavoidable on the darker colours

I think that even with a good washing technique, light swirling will happen over time. A good washing and drying technique will minimise it though.

Lighter colours are no less susceptible to swirling than dark colours. It’s just that swirls are much more noticeable on darker colours, especially in certain lighting conditions.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2019, 15:55 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2019, 16:08 »
Fact - darker shades of blue are a nightmare for swirls.

Isaac must the most popular GTI colour currently! Despite grey been the top UK colour.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey