Author Topic: Check engine light/ inlet manifold fault.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
Check engine light/ inlet manifold fault.
« on: 02 April 2015, 18:31 »
I have a 60 plate GTI with 26k miles and full VW service history.

A couple of weeks ago the check engine light came on for a few hours and then went out again,a friend of mine luckily runs a local independent,the fault code (Im sorry I cant remember the code,I didn't write it down because it had gone out) was an intermittent fault with the sensor for the fuel flaps (I think) and my pal said if it was that and it comes back on,to cure it unfortunately its an inlet manifold. It still runs fine.

Anyway on Monday it came back on and has stayed on since. I am going to run it down to him and plug it in again.

Anyway after doing a bit of googling it seems its a known issue with this engine-I believe in the USA its now a 10 year/120k miles warranty part,but not here in the UK?

So I thought I would give VW customer services a ring and see what they said about it,in summery they wont comment about my problem until its been diagnosed at an approved VW repair shop (fair enough) but as far as her head Tech service guy knows. he has never heard of this problem with this engine before. (I thought April fools day was yesterday!) Anyway she said she doubted there would be a warranty repair or any good will available.

So fair enough I rang my local VW repair centre and its £60 to plug it in and they say they cant say if any good will or anything is or would be available. So it would cost me £60 and have to leave it with them for half a day and drive it to the other side of town so it would probably cost more than a tenner arseing about taking it there and dropping it off and and getting someone to take me to  pick it up again. I appreciate none of these things are anything to do with them-but its still all part of the getting them to tell me what I think I already know is wrong with it.

I can just get my pal to sort it- £300 ish for the manifold and a bit to fit it-I think this now appeals more than taking it to VW to maybe/maybe not get something or nothing off VW.

All in all I don't think this is very good really, from what I thought when I bought it, was supposed to be a quality German vehicle! I feel a bit let down and disappointed with this issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their car and what happened and how did you get it resolved in the end?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 02 April 2015, 18:34 by Gtiless »

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Re: Check engine light/ inlet manifold fault.
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2015, 18:52 »
"the quality of a German car feel" doesnt really apply much now a days.

Ive had loads of little bits go wrong and fail on my GTI. But in regards to your problem, yes, I would just get your mate to replace the inlet manifold and flap. Its a known fault and relatively easy to fix, but yes, it does cost £300-£500 to fix including labor.

VW will give you no good will gesture for that part i guarantee you.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2015, 19:15 »
Thanks for your reply,I didn't think VW would give anything TBH,but it was worth a try.

Anyway, I threatened it with a trip to my mates garage and the light has gone out.

He did plug it in again and it said fuel sensor fault implausible signal,intermittent. 

I think it will probably come back on again unfortunately,if/when it does i'm going to get my mate to replace the manifold. :cry: 

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2015, 12:01 »
Just had mine done at 72k..... Seems to be a std problem on the MK6.....

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2015, 12:14 »
Just had mine done at 72k..... Seems to be a std problem on the MK6.....

How much did it end up costing you Jimmy if you don't mind me asking?

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2015, 19:48 »
Lucky enough it was done as a part of an insurance claim after I hit the front end! I believe the quote to the insurer was £420 ish plus vat.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2015, 23:35 »
Lucky enough it was done as a part of an insurance claim after I hit the front end! I believe the quote to the insurer was £420 ish plus vat.

Lol. I see, I dont fancy crashing it to get it sorted out!

I am hoping its going to be about £320ish to get it sorted through my mate. A bit of a result really I suppose.

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2015, 07:47 »
Yeah absolutely, I didn't want to hit mine either! Worked out ok though, wanted the front end painted because of the stone chips. Having the manifold done too all for the price of £100 excess!